Escape Rhumba Furling Issue

Jul 23, 2014
Escape Rhumba Lake Winnipesaukee
I recently bought a used Escape Rhumba with 'smart rigging' (the sail wraps around the mast and has one furling line), which the manufacturer's brochure claim allows for quick rigging, furling, unfurling and partial sail adjustments. I can unfurl the sail but need actually to turn the mast in my hands to furl the sail - the furling line will move the mast as it is supposed to. It look alike I have all the parts, but now I wonder if something is missing. Does anyone have enough experience with this boat to suggest what the problem might be?

Jul 23, 2014
Escape Rhumba Lake Winnipesaukee
Thanks Tom. I have the manual (yes the internet is amazing!) and am rigging it correctly (had an expert sailor-friend review), but the issue is that the mast does not turn the way it should.

May 27, 2020
Escape rumba North Dakota
I recently bought a used Escape Rhumba with 'smart rigging' (the sail wraps around the mast and has one furling line), which the manufacturer's brochure claim allows for quick rigging, furling, unfurling and partial sail adjustments. I can unfurl the sail but need actually to turn the mast in my hands to furl the sail - the furling line will move the mast as it is supposed to. It look alike I have all the parts, but now I wonder if something is missing. Does anyone have enough experience with this boat to suggest what the problem might be?
I know its been a few years, but I just bought a rumba and I'm having the same problem, I wonder if you ever resolved it?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I know its been a few years, but I just bought a rumba and I'm having the same problem, I wonder if you ever resolved it?
Welcome To SBO

There is a link above but if for some reason you don’t have the manual here it is. Note how to orient the sail to roll it onto the mast.

When the sail is completely furled there is very little line on the “spool”. As you pull the sail “out” the mast rotates and rolls the furling line onto the “spool”. When you want to furl, pull some line off the spool.

4AA4F33C-CFF6-4941-AF01-60FC26C5C343.jpeg

Hope this helps

Attachments

May 27, 2020
Welcome To SBO

There is a link above but if for some reason you don’t have the manual here it is. Note how to orient the sail to roll it onto the mast.

When the sail is completely furled there is very little line on the “spool”. As you pull the sail “out” the mast rotates and rolls the furling line onto the “spool”. When you want to furl, pull some line off the spool.

View attachment 179871

Hope this helps
I understand HOW its rigged and have the manual and looked at pictures, as far as I can still tell I'm rigging it correctly. What I'm wondering is why it takes 2 full grown men pulling on the outhaul line to nearly the point of bending the boom to get any action out of the mast. Ive also made sure the inhaul line is not in the cam, nothing is catching, and line is run properly, yet I can easily run the mast by hand.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’ve not seen one of these boats but the diagram and description in the manual looks like the mast goes through a hole in the top of the boat and the bottom of the mast rests on a “pin”.

If you can rotate the mast in both directions by hand then it appears that it is setup correctly.

There is some kind of locking collar that I assume keeps the mast connected to the boat if you tip. Is that seated correctly or is it worn??

Maybe when you are pulling on the furling line the mast is binding in the hole??

I can see the sail being difficult to furl up if the sail wasn’t luffing but it should be relatively easy to unfurl.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020
I've tried unfurling it from several places, the line after the cam catch, the line under the boom and over the boom actually attached to the sail. Its all a pain. Iv made sure that my furling line isn't in its cam holder to it should wrap around mast freely an nothing. And yet I can still turn mast freely with one hand. The mast does sit on a pin but I'm not sure it rotates on it and there is a locking collar/bearing but it keeps the mast from lifting off the pin and not from rotating. Maybe ill check the pin hole on bottom of mast for dirt or debris clean it an try a dab or grease or something.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
An idea for what it’s worth :)

Place the boat on a lawn and face the bow into the wind. Leave the furling off the boat so it’s not a factor. Tie a line onto the CLEW of the sail and see if you can unfurl the sail with it. Perhaps have a second person watch the hole where the mast enters the boat to see if they can see a problem.

If that works start adding in each point starting from the clew end of the boom until you find where it’s binding.

If all else fails just go sailing ;)

Lots of small boats don’t have any ability to furl a sail and they do just fine.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021
Escape Rumba St Louis MO Area
My wife and I just picked up an Escape Rumba. She use to sail a Sunfish as a kid. I'm not finding much info on these boats. I've also made a Facebook Group to help get owners together.
IMG_5550.jpeg