Ericson 27 - Designed Purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

me262

Jun 2, 2004
Neptune 24 canyon lake, tx
From what I can find, the E-27 sounds like a fine boat. Some impressive voyages have been made on her. I have the opportunity to get one for almost nothing. Don't know the condition, but it is floating at least! Will make the determination of taking it when I see it.

My question had to do with what its designed purpose was. Is it a protected water sailer or a blue water crusier? Boats can usually take much more than the occupants can, but would like something that can make a Gulf crossing and maybe the Bahamas.

Boats like the Vega and other 27'ers are similiar size, but maybe more suited?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Had one for many years. Great boat but tends to wallow in a heavy sea because of the semi-full keel. I liked the encapsulated keel with no keel bots to worry about and it would be great in the Bahamas because of the shallow draft.

me262

Jun 2, 2004
Neptune 24 canyon lake, tx
Motor?

It comes with an outboard motor that is only a 5hp. I have an extra long shaft Johnson Sailmaster 8. Thinking of taking it down the ICW. Worried about freeboard and getting pushed around while being under power (with an underpowered o/b!). Lots of barge traffic and etc.. Legitimate worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.