Erickson 25, 1977 - Ready to buy, I have questions?

Apr 21, 2017
Erickson 25 Atlantic City
My husband and I are are preparing to purchase the above boat. I am a little confused I see the center board weighs 2,000 or 2,500 pounds?? The boat weighs 6-7,000 pounds, ???

Curious what do you use to lift the centerboard?

The centerboard in the boat has not been lowered ever since this owner has had it. What have any of you done to release the board. We will see the boat for the first time Tuesday. If all goes well we will take ownership. The centerboard concerns me.

Are there other things that should concern me when looking at this boat?

Thank you in advance.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It's a concern of the PO if the board does not drop. See how well it works after he fixes it.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Anything else to worry about? The boat is over 34 years old. (The were last made in 1978.)

When you say the Owner says he never lowered the centerboard, that could be indicative of a lot things. To me, it's indicative of some combination of disinterest, lack of use of the boat, or just prevarication. (e.g., if you bough a used car and the previous owner said: I don't know if the electric windows work in the back seats -- or maybe the sunroof.)

The "ballast" on the Ericson 25 is 2,500 pounds of lead. The centerboard is hydro dynamically balanced -- it probably weighs less than 200 pounds -- it's balanced so that you have to pull it up. You should be able to pull it up with a small block and tackle or winch (or even with some muscle work). If the centerboard is "jammed", it could have growth in the "trunk" that has "crudded it up" -- or it could be bent or broken.

I think you should pay to have a surveyor look at the boat.

In the meantime: Search the web and research the Ericson 25. When it came-out, I thought it was a nicely made and good looking boat; but that was a long time ago. It was before I could even afford to own a boat.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=528 (Some drawings and specs)
http://www.ericson25.com/2012/09/why-i-bought-ericson-25-part-iv.html (there may be a Part I, II, or III)
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/seaworthy-ship-ericson-25.88711/ (Some "threaded" comments on the boat)

Apr 21, 2017
Hey guys I'm back thanks for your input last season. My husband was able to get the center board free going up-and-down in the boat yard. Although the 1st time we lowered it in the ocean it dropped off. Go figure. Now I'm looking for dimensions to build a centerboard any idea where to go.
I am also looking for sale dimensions as this boat did not come with any paperwork and I have been unlucky searching on the Internet. I am particularly looking for roller furling jib size. The gym on the boat is oversized we made it work last summer I'd like to have it cut down. Many help you could be I would really appreciate it.

Happy Easter

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I actually own one that needs to be restored, but never seem to get to it. If I remember right, isn't there a crack in the cockpit to raise and lower the keel? I'd have to look at my boat. Contact me if you need anything.

Apr 21, 2017
Yes there is. Any chance you could measure the dimensions of your center board.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Hollymae,

You need not just the outside dimensions but a lot of other stuff including the "fairing" or shaping, attachments points, angle of attack, etc.

Apr 21, 2017
I don't know that much about it, but yes I suspect so. And I am pretty sure you do not have them. I saw drawings in the E25 manual for hole placement and stuff but no particulars on how to make a new one. Do you have any idea?

Apr 21, 2017
I have a friend who owns a boat yard. He has offered to make it if I can find the specs. This may seem like a weird question, well definitely it is weird, any chance I could come get your CB to allow him to make a stencil? I could rent it for the weekend, lol. Maybe I have something to lend you. lol.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
You are probably better off trying to get a new head sail made then cutting down an old one. This is a good loft, they send you info on what to measure and they will design to your boat and rig.

http://www.precisionsailloft.com/

Apr 21, 2017
I actually own one that needs to be restored, but never seem to get to it. If I remember right, isn't there a crack in the cockpit to raise and lower the keel? I'd have to look at my boat. Contact me if you need anything.

Apr 21, 2017
Where are you located? Is your center board visible enough to make a template? Maybe my husband and I could visit?

Apr 21, 2017
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
That new CB for $988. is a great price. Around here yard rates are over $100/hour, and they would have to build a mold first ($$$$$).

Apr 21, 2017
Where would they get a board to make a mold, or schematic? I have a guy who said $500 to make it. But I have to provide specs.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Hollymae, Maybe....

Who would you get to install it? They might be able to help.

Find somone with the boat who's near to you. Before the put their boat in the water, if they are in a yard, get out there and have them measure the board. Then ship the data to manufacturer. Then ship the part to that yard and have them install it on your boat.

Otherwise, look for a Ericson 25 that's being scraped (which is less likely); and, salvage the board. Start searching the want ads and find someone that's dumping one for the "if you get it out of here, it's yours"?

You have to get someone to take the time to measure it, knows what they're doing, get them and an Ericson 25 together, and go from there.

Your only other chance is to find the manufacturer's shop drawings. Start searching, they may be in someone's "attic".