Equalization, is this the solution?

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I charge my batteries almost exclusively off Solar through a Genasun GV-4 controller, the only other charge source being the 7A (max) charger on the outboard, which is normally putting out closer to 5A at normal operating RPMs. The GV-4 does not have a equalize function, and the dumb regulator on the engine limits output at 14.4v. (and if I really need to charge them over night as a result of extra heavy drain and no time for solar to recharge, I do carry a cheap AutoZone 10/50a automotive charger with alligator clips and a shore power cord, but I have only used that once in the last 2-3 years).

I tested all the cells of both my batteries (2x Group 24 12v) and I noticed that 2 of the cells in one battery are a little lower than the rest (I only have a cheap "4 balls floating = full charge, 3=75% charge..." hydrometer, it doesn't give actual SG numbers).

What is the best method to equalize the cells given my situation?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Here's what the primer says:

Battery Equalization
Liquid electrolyte batteries that have been floated at a low voltage
for long periods need to be periodically equalized. Equalization
is the process that equalizes the specific gravity in all the cells.
Basically, equalization amounts to a controlled overcharge.
Current Limiting Required
To equalize a battery, you need a charge source which can be
current limited, such as the Smart Alternator Regulator. Set the
current limit at 3–7% of the Amp–hour rating of the battery. That
is, for a 100 Amp–hour battery set the current limit at 3–7 Amps.
Apply that current to the battery for about 4 hours, or until the battery
voltage rises to 16.2 Volts. The Smart Alternator can equalize
batteries automatically.
Turn Off Voltage Sensitive Loads
Since the battery voltage rises to 16.2 Volts, be sure to turn off
all loads which are voltage sensitive. Battery temperature should
also be observed during the process to prevent overheating.

Apr 8, 2010
You'll need a charger that has an equalization feature.
Stu,

I think my title is a little misleading. I know equalization is what I need to do, what I was really asking, is how do I do it, since I don't have any charge source able to do it...

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Stu,

I think my title is a little misleading. I know equalization is what I need to do, what I was really asking, is how do I do it, since I don't have any charge source able to do it...
You can't without a charger which has an equalization capability. The right tool for the job...

Apr 8, 2010
ok... is there a cheap, portable charger that I can run off an extension cord and equalize with?

Feb 26, 2004
STOP

WADR, how do you figure this will equalize your batteries?

It says:

Technical Details
3 stage, automatic high-frequency power conversion charging technology
Microprocessor control digital diagnostics and fault codes
Spark-resistant reverse hook-up and overcharge protection
Patented vehicle alternator check feature
Automatic float mode monitoring

I don't see the FOURTH STAGE, which is equalization.

I'd cancel that order ITWMB.

Apr 8, 2010
Gary from c34 says he has used it for exactly that (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=5399.0), and it says in the description it does it...

Black & Decker Smart Battery Charger with 15 Amp/10 Amp/2 Amp Continuous Charge Rates is a fully automatic electronic battery charger that features automatic temperature compensation, battery type selection and large digital LED display along with digital diagnostics and fault codes. This 3 stage automatic charging, high frequency power conversion technology supports vehicle alternator check, battery equalization, automatic float mode monitoring and battery reconditioning. It provides spark resistant reverse hook up protection and microprocessor control. Heavy duty cables and clamps are included. This battery charger requires 3-1/2 minute charge to start and 3 hours to fully charge.

Apr 8, 2010
And just to be clear in case anyone got confused, that charger will be unplugged and disconnected with the cables coiled up and stowed in a locker except for the 1-2 times a year that I pull it out to equalize, or top off the batteries from shore power. I have zero intention of leaving that hooked up any other time. I do not expect to use it as a regular shore power charging solution...

Feb 26, 2004
Schumacher

Brain, I stand corrected, sorry I didn't get that far. Not a bad choice, although if it is a Schumacher charger, I'd do some more internet sleuthing, 'cuz IIRC Maine Sail has dissed Schumacher chargers big time.

Like this one, which I found by doing a search on Schumacher by Maine Sail

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=873179&highlight=Schumacher

If you do that same search there are three or four other comments from MS about these things.

Please, be careful, and check it out.

Also read my Reply #5 on that topic you linked to.

PS - Only another thing to add: if you're gonna spend $66 plus shipping for something you're only gonna use twice a year, then why not spend $120 - $150 for a REAL charger like the Sterling that MS mentioned in that link? I know, I know, easy for me to spend your money, but penny wise and pound foolish and all that. Get a good charger and your batteries will last longer. That's a straight ROI. Straight. One year payback from longer battery life. I just replaced my batteries, and I KNOW what they cost.

Good luck.

Apr 8, 2010
Brain, I stand corrected, sorry I didn't get that far. Not a bad choice, although if it is a Schumacher charger, I'd do some more internet sleuthing, 'cuz IIRC Maine Sail has dissed Schumacher chargers big time.

Like this one, which I found by doing a search on Schumacher by Maine Sail

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=873179&highlight=Schumacher
Thanks, I did read that thread when it was new, but I had forgotten it until now. Regardless, unless Black and Decker re-branded a Schumacher unit I don't think that thread applies, plus I have regular flooded LA batteries anyway.

PS - Only another thing to add: if you're gonna spend $66 plus shipping for something you're only gonna use twice a year, then why not spend $120 - $150 for a REAL charger like the Sterling that MS mentioned in that link? I know, I know, easy for me to spend your money, but penny wise and pound foolish and all that. Get a good charger and your batteries will last longer. That's a straight ROI. Straight. One year payback from longer battery life. I just replaced my batteries, and I KNOW what they cost.
It's not just $120-$150 to add the charger, my boat doesn't have ANY shore power hookup at all. I would need to get the cable, the connector, the breakers, galvanic isolator, ground fault indicator, the wiring, and then get and wire the charger... If someone sells that as a $150 kit let me know because I'll buy. Short of that, I'll stick to getting my occasional 110v fix off the end of regular orange extension cord, or while onboard from the inverter (which is used most often simply to charge my tablet, which I don't have a 12v adapter for, but once in a while for a corded drill or dremmel).

I keep the batteries properly topped off pretty much all the time with solar and my little 3 stage Genasun controller, and have only once discharged them a full 50%, so they don't get much abuse. Sure it wouldn't hurt to equalize more often, but at the cost of installing a complete 110v electrical system on the boat, it really is not worth it.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I am sure this will get some great reaction but I will tell you guys anyway. You can use a solar panel to cell equalize if it is watched carefully and not fed through a controller/regulator. Fourpoints: If you need more detail just email me. Chief FCC lic#1890

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
... If someone sells that as a $150 kit let me know because I'll buy.
FourPoints - following up on the above portion of one of your recent posts, check this link. And look at step #12:

http://www.geniuschargers.com/G7200/specs

Looks a lot like "equalization" to me. Plus if you read the other specs, the charger includes all the typical modern Bells-and-Whistles. Plus you can just plug it into your shore extension cord when needed. Seems to be on 20% off sale direct from the manufacturer for $98.

I looked this up for you because several years ago, I ordered their GEN4 on-board "wickedly smart" Genius Charger (as in the attached photo) to replace the 1980 era ferro magnetic charger that was still on my boat when I bought it in 2007. And I remembered that soon after, the company introduced a new line that included what seemed to be an equalization mode. Unfortunately the model I got does not have have the feature. But like you, I maintain my batteries with solar and I plug in to shore power only for the occasional over-night or when I need 110v for power tools. I doubt that I have ever discharged them more than to 80% of remaining capacity. They have never been deep discharged.

Since installing my new GEN4 charger, circumstances have been: ... I'VE NEVER USED IT!

Attachments

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Brian: What am I missing here? Its easy to equalize your cells with your solar panels. Just bypass your controller so the amps from the solar will exceed 2% of the total amp hrs of your batteries. Most all solar systems exceed 2% or you don't necessarily need a controller. This means you do not need to spend a penny to equalize your cells! This is not magic, it is merely applied concepts that have been used for years.
Chief