Entering Canada with children.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
My Daughter and family are going to go on a cruise with us and we got to thinking about the possibility of going to Canada. None of them have passports but they the adults have US Military id's which it appears are accepted. Anyone know what the kids need? [age 5 - 9]

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
I know as a canadian everyone including infants require a passport. Might be worth a call to customs and Immagration.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
It would be both biological parents and they both have military id's but the kids don't get theirs until they are 14.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
My Daughter and family are going to go on a cruise with us and we got to thinking about the possibility of going to Canada. None of them have passports but they the adults have US Military id's which it appears are accepted. Anyone know what the kids need? [age 5 - 9]
Hayden, I believe that children under 16 require only a birth certificate to enter Canada, if travelling with both parents. I think you will find that your daughter and her partner will require passports unless they are on active duty AND are on official military business or have travel orders.
Why not call the CBSA toll free number (1-888-226-7277) to confirm?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Two choices:
1) get opinions from strangers on the internet, and some will be helpful, and others... not.
Or:
2) Call the actual Customs folks. Read over their web site material first and be as precise as possible with your questions.
Take Notes.

This is likely a common situation and they should have a solid procedure for you to follow.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
It appears they should, so go for it. btw does it also appear that all of you will be able to bring them back to the US?

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
My understanding is based on actual border crossings in the past two years by friends from Maine coming to visit us in Canada and our visit to them in Maine. Americans do not need passports to come to Canada (government ID suffices) but require proof of citizenship to return to USA. Canadians need passports to visit the USA and are expected to use them on return to Canada. Minor children complicate things, as both biological parents must consent to kids crossing an international border. I would recommend passports for all international travel - YMMV.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
minors need a birth certificate (real one) and adults need a passport, NEXUS or Enhanced Driver's License. A typical state DOL issued license will not do it.

Year before last I checked in at Bedwell. I ended up docking and going to the Customs Shack which wasn't occupied. There were three phones on the wall to call in with a average of 45 minutes of ringing before someone answered. There was a number on the shack that I called in with my cell phone and it was the same contact as the three on the wall. My plan this year is to call in before entering the harbor to see if I can check in. If they say to come in, then I'll come in.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
minors need a birth certificate (real one) and adults need a passport, NEXUS or Enhanced Driver's License. A typical state DOL issued license will not do it.

Year before last I checked in at Bedwell. I ended up docking and going to the Customs Shack which wasn't occupied. There were three phones on the wall to call in with a average of 45 minutes of ringing before someone answered. There was a number on the shack that I called in with my cell phone and it was the same contact as the three on the wall. My plan this year is to call in before entering the harbor to see if I can check in. If they say to come in, then I'll come in.
Mike, good luck with that. last year we tried several times from a cell phone. After about 1/2 hr., the call dropped. Cell coverage near the border around the Bedwell area sucks. We decided to just go to the dock and use the landline. Middle of the week and the dock was empty!

Dec 28, 2015
Mike, good luck with that. last year we tried several times from a cell phone. After about 1/2 hr., the call dropped. Cell coverage near the border around the Bedwell area sucks. We decided to just go to the dock and use the landline. Middle of the week and the dock was empty!
I"m defiantly going to give it a try. It was a good two hours to get in and out. It made no sense to dock and sit on my boat on my phone when I could have sat out in the channel and do the same thing while saving time. Last July the there was a wait for dock space mid week when we were there. The only space was aircraft space. I had great coverage with Verizon (it switched over to whatever Canadas system was) throughout the Gulf Islands. The only issue I had was trying to video chat with USBC when in Prevost. We had to head back out into the channel to get data coverage.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I"m defiantly going to give it a try.
and it was the same contact as the three on the wall.
Keep being defiant, I'm sure that will go over well with the authorities. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Yes, it is the same SINGLE, ONLY phone number to use, which goes to a bunker somewhere in Alberta or Manitoba. But they do answer and are always courteous. YOU just have to have all the right paperwork for them to clear you. When I was crossing the border regularly from 2016 to 2019 I never had to wait more than five minutes. YMMV, but your experiences sound rather strange.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think the Canadian cell service provider that appears on my T-Mobil phone is Rogers.
There are a couple of others in the marketplace. Cell coverage in Victoria for Bell, Rogers, Telus

I understand that others with Nexus have been able to connect to CBSA after crossing north of Boundary Passage.

On my last visit to Canada (October 2021) check-in took less than 15 minutes. I took nearly 2 hours to complete the check-in back into the US through Friday Harbor and the CBP portal app.

Dec 28, 2015
Keep being defiant, I'm sure that will go over well with the authorities. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Yes, it is the same SINGLE, ONLY phone number to use, which goes to a bunker somewhere in Alberta or Manitoba. But they do answer and are always courteous. YOU just have to have all the right paperwork for them to clear you. When I was crossing the border regularly from 2016 to 2019 I never had to wait more than five minutes. YMMV, but your experiences sound rather strange.
poor spelling on my part.....definitely going to try it.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I understand that others with Nexus have been able to connect to CBSA after crossing north of Boundary Passage.
John here is the (official) link to How to Use NEXUS to Enter Canada. Scroll way down to Marine: Contact the Telephone Reporting Centre.
I do not have NEXUS as the closest interview site for me is at the Vancouver airport which is a full day car ride, ferry ride and bus ride for me. Also after talking to several skippers that have used NEXUS, it may actually take longer to clear customs.
As stated in the link, the operator (skipper) must call the centre between 30 minutes and 4 hours before arriving in Canada. In the call, the operator must provide the name and location of the landing site of arrival and the estimated time of arrival. The vessel must then physically proceed to that landing site and be there at the estimated arrival time. The link goes on to say: If a border officer is not waiting at the landing site to meet the boat at the estimated time of arrival, you may continue to your final destination.
So the morale of the story is: you still have to physically go to the landing site and if you are early you would have to wait before you can carry on with your trip. The advantage is there are far more NEXUS landing sites than without. However in IMHO those sites are not convenient locations at least not on the West Coast.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Year before last I checked in at Bedwell.
Hi Mike. Cleared Canada Customs in five minutes last season and two hours clearing back into the US at Friday harbor. World of a difference. Waited about two minutes for the agent to answer the phone at Bedwell. After a few questions, was given my clearance number. Upon my return, even though I had my CanPass decal, the US agent at Friday Harbor could not find me in the system, so had to start everything from scratch and that was with an agent at the dock, working with another agent at their in-town office, assisting me. Very frustrating.

Last edited: