Engineering Issues

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
It'll be fine. It returned to its original position, didn't it ?

1688409457858.png

Before car went past.

1688409510592.png

After cart went past.

Well, almost anyway.

• Ha

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Very scary. Kudos to Dad for reporting it to park services, then following up with FD. His actions may have saved many lives.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I saw this video this morning and wondered, how did the park safety team miss this on their AM inspection.
There was another earlier photo which showed a smaller crack. Possibly a couple of days, at least, since it first appeared. How many inspections missed it? As a life long coaster fan, all I can say is :yikes:!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ah Dave. Another Roller Coaster aficionado. The rush. The thrill. Ahhhh.
Events like this definitely up the adrenaline especially on the newer designed rigs.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
so this is going to be interesting. Root cause could be bad weld that propagated, Bad material, poor design resulting in high stress or Fatigue of the metal, My guess is that all of the other supports should come under scrutiny. The bad weld can be inspected for (xray welds). Bad material can be determined by post accident testing of the failed piece and other supports to follow. Poor design of the welded joint would involve a look at the whole coaster. Fatigue could be determined by post accident inspection of the failed piece under a microscope. If fatigue is the case, the solution is going to be a huge deal. All of these are going to take time and lots of $$$.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma