That would go viral…:biggrin:

Post pictures, don’t drown… :what:
And you could get “Like’s” and “Wow’s!”

Almost as good as going VIRAL…:beer:

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
Here you go!
The wind was too high today for testing.

All should remember that aesthetics was not a concern especially for a 30+ year old Sears canoe. It was all about comfortable FISHING without breaking the bank.

The frame is 1". The cantilever ends are 1" to 1 1/4". There are 1 1/4" pieces used as bushings for the pontoon section. The floatation is held with a piece of 3/4".

My greatest concern are the cantilevers. The pontoons will displace about 10 pounds which is distributed to the four cantilevers. Each cantilever will have about 10 pounds at the beam. I hope the stress doesn't break the glued joints. I have a solution in mind if there are problems. I'll report back after testing.

canoe2.jpg

canoe1.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great project. An interesting design. I’ve used pvc to make soccer goals. Looking at your design I would add cross members to each of the pontoons fore and aft. You’re going to get a lot of twisting as the forward end of the pontoon rises and falls. This is going to upset the structure and reduce the anticipated 10 lb support you desire.

1697857581438.jpeg
I would use a piece like this for the red circle area the run a straight piece between them to keep the pontoon in plane with the canoe gunnel
1697857315585.jpeg

Rather than these you used.
1697857394730.png

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Great project. An interesting design. I’ve used pvc to make soccer goals. Looking at your design I would add cross members to each of the pontoons fore and aft. You’re going to get a lot of twisting as the forward end of the pontoon rises and falls. This is going to upset the structure and reduce the anticipated 10 lb support you desire.
Thanks. I am aware of this issue. I want to test and study it. I'll do some bracing as needed.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
The bass are going to have a field day running your fishing line around those pontoons. :)

Have fun!

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
The bass are going to have a field day running your fishing line around those pontoons. :)

Have fun!
That shouldn't be a big problem. I will trim the height of the pipe as soon as I'm satisfied. The real problem is the trolling motor. It is like a built-in stump.

Hey, bass are supposed to be a challenge!

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
OK, for those interested. I still have some refinements to do, mainly, cutting the upright pipe.
That is a 40# trolling motor and will cruise the canoe at 3.5kts.
CanoeWet.jpg

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Looks pretty nifty, Tater! :beer:
Thanks. My friends keep telling me to buy a boat. I can't justify that with my limited time for fishing. I have several hobbies and I spread my disposable income around to sailing and Amateur Radio too.

I have had that canoe since the 90s. I spent about $100 on this project plus the motor. I'll use that motor on my 170. It should be strong enough to push it or at least backup my old Merc 3.3. Sailing is next. November is good on our lakes and the jetski idiots are gone for the season.