Engine winterization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2011
Pearson 27 South portland
Ok, I'm a newbe on a Pearson 27 with a Universal diesel engine and I want to winterize it myself. I understand one of the first things to do is change the oil and transmission fluid. I have seen a vacume pump that you can buy to pull the old out through the dipstick hole. Is this the only way? I guess I just need to break down and buy one.
Is the transmittion fluid extracted the same way? Can I do all my winterization on the hard?

Thanks
Scott

Sep 6, 2011
Is is the only way? Probably not but the vacuum gizmo is typically the easiest. I would change he oil in the water so you can go for a decent ride to heat the engine oil up. Most else can be done on the hard. Just my opinion. :). SC

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Can I do all my winterization on the hard?

Thanks
Scott
Yes. You can even run your engine on the hard if you set up cooling water for it.
I prefer to do as sailcruiser suggests and do an oil change right before hauling out for the winter. I also like to run some fresh water through, and anti-freeze into, my engine but I usually do that once high and dry in our cradle.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Everyone has their favorite oil removal tool. Some are really pricey. I bought an inexpensive brass PAR hand pump many years ago and continute to use that to change engine and trans oil, and it is useful for a number of other tasks on my boat. It may not be the easiest tool to use for this task, but I like it because it can do many other tasks too.

I have occassionally changed oil on the hard by filling up a 5-gal bucket with water, and attaching a hose from the input side of the water strainer and putting the other end in the bucket. I keep another hose nearby that is connected to a water source/water stand near the boat to refill the bucket as it gets sucked into the engine. Do not ever connect the water source hose to the imput side of your engine's raw water intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.