engine weight on transom during trailoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim dinger

Does it do damage to the transom to leave the kicker engine on while trailoring my 25 ft Mac (1977)? I am contemplating buying a 112 lb 4 stroke Merc. Plan to trailor boat several times a year over 500 miles each way to Great Lakes, etc. Motor mount is rather new, is anodized aluminium with kickup spring (?). Plywood backing (12" x 12" (?)) on inside of transom where motor mount bolts on. Transom does not seem to have any structural flaws in it at present.

H

howard evert

stow it

I would try to store it in the tow vehicle or on the cabin floor, secured and padded. A 500 mile trip is alot of unnessarary stress on the transom.

W

Warren

O/B Too Heavy

I would think 112 lbs. is too heavy. Think about how much your going to "motor" (don't forget its a sailboat!) You may be better off with a 6-8 HP 2 stroke engine. When you do trailer it is a good idea to carry the motor in the cockpit (112 lbs. will be very hard to get in & out of the cockpit) Also, the O/B bracket needs to be very secure as they take alot of stress, another reason to keep the weight down. Good Luck!

S

shadow sailor

re-engine weight on transom during trailoring

i agree with Howard and Warren, thats too much weight on the transom while trailoring, i would stow the engine in the cabin or tow vehicle. just my .02 cents

S

Steve C.

Flexing

The trouble you will meet, maybe not this year, or next, will be spidering, caused by flexing. You probably will not see the flexing. But it is working on the glass internally. An unsupported motor will cause the glass to spider eventually. (In my opinion.) Better safe than sorry. Stow the motor, mount it on a 2x4 sawhorse in the cockpit if you have to, but don't hang it off the transom OR THE RAIL. Good luck.

T

tomD

use it to balance the load instead

Because the weight is way aft, it will change the tongue weight and may affect trailering behaviour: if the tongue weight is too light the load will not track well, and with the engine offcenter, it could cause trailer whip, esp on uneven roads or at speed. There is really nothing good to say about leaving it on. Suggest you move it to a place in the boat where it balances fore and aft and weight on the wheels, the whole thing just goes better then.

D

Dana Barlow,C&C 30' Mega,trailersailor

Must be a 10/15 hp 4strok that's under 90lb. out

for even 50 miles I'd take it off,but find a liter motor you can handle,you can't use more then a 10/15 hp anyway ,10hp should get to hull speed on a mac25'

S

steven f.

transom saver

I tow a 13' Whaler and use a Transom Saver. This is a bar that supports the lower half of the motor to the trailer. It keeps the motor from bouncing and flexing the transom. My first choice would be removing the motor but if that is not possible than certainly look into the transom saver.

Status
Not open for further replies.