engine type 29.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2012
seidelmann 29.9 galveston
just started working on putting a ike boat back togather(yes its been neglected that long) can someone tell me what yanmar engine was used in the 1980 model? need bow sprite and stearn pulpit also stantions on port side just to get started

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I think depending on year they used 12 to 15 hp yanmars

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
Yanmar 2QM15 is what sticks in my mind, we only used freshwater cooled engines as I recall. When Universal (Brown paint now Westerbeke) came out with diesels at a better price than Yanmar (Grey paint) we changed to them. This web site my help you assuming it is a yanmar http://shop.torresen.com/marine_die...getitle=Yanmar+Marine+Engine+Identification++
There was no bow sprit from the factory, that would have been added some where along the line by a previous owner. Most of the companies that made the pulpits and stantions are gone they were High Seas, Frank Brown and Sebrite Stainless the only one who may still be in business at one of their locations. You have a lot of local resources in your area who can probably help you with stainless fabrication.

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
My 34 is a raw water cooled yanmar 3 GM.
Well that just proves my recall is far from perfect Neal. I remember pushing Mack Boring to sell us raw engines they wouldn't... What makes the fresh vs raw issue stick in my mind are the additional cost of fresh and all the trouble we had with airlock in the water heater circuit. I left the company in the spring of 1983. Mack Boring may have changed their policy, our competitors were using raw engines, or my memory could easily be full of holes.

Jun 10, 2012
Thanks for your reply i did find out that it was a 2qm-15 any ideas where i might track down a owners manual?

Jun 10, 2012
I ran into another problem today the inlet for seawater broke off at the handel shows a red o-ring i was able to turn the handel and close the sea cock but not sure how it will hold any thoughts?

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Surveyor said:
Well that just proves my recall is far from perfect Neal. I remember pushing Mack Boring to sell us raw engines they wouldn't... What makes the fresh vs raw issue stick in my mind are the additional cost of fresh and all the trouble we had with airlock in the water heater circuit. I left the company in the spring of 1983. Mack Boring may have changed their policy, our competitors were using raw engines, or my memory could easily be full of holes.
Well I guess they changed there policy sometime in late 1983 or early 1984 - this is when my boat was manufacturer and by the engine serial number it's a 1983.

Status
Not open for further replies.