Engine temp guage and tach

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
My engine temperature guage pegs at the high end even when the actual temperature is normal. Also, the engine tach is not working. Both of these events are periodic rather than constant. Loose wires on the engine? Where are they located? Hard to see for an old captain with bad eyes. :confused:

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I would start with the terminal block in the control panel pod at the helm. That is the only point where the two have connections near each other. (See page from manual).

I remember a recent post on this terminal block being corroded or something. It was definitely a newer Catalina but might not have been a C310.

After that I would look at the temp sender unit on the thermostat housing and the connections at the back of the alternator.

Good luck,

Jesse

Attachments

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
The terminal block in my control panel was rusty and I could not loosen or tighten some of the connections. As Jesse said checking those connections would be one place to look. With the vibration on our engines I wouldn't be surprised if the connections were loose there either. Gauges tend to stop completely when they go bad.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.