Engine takes a break

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Glen Yost

After motoring for about an hour, of course no wind is blowing, my engine which otherwise purrs like a kitten will act as though it is running out of fuel and tries to quit. Giving it more throttle brings it back for a bit then it does it again eventually shutting down. She cranks right back up but keeps going through the same routine until she wont stay running at all. Docking under sail is fun but don't care to make a habit of it. Is this the same old nasty fuel tank scenario or could it be something else. Boat is a 1984 Hunter 27 with a 10 horse Westerbeke...Thanks ya'll

B

Bryan C.

Ditto - change the filters

Sounds exactly like what my motor does when the filters are dirty.

R

Russell Egge

Check the pickup tube

Check the fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank, and change the filters

J

Jim McCue

??? H2O in fuel

Besieds changing your filters, You may want to see about getting a Racor water separator fuel filter. It has a Acrylic jar under the filter that allows you to see if you've got water building up in the jar. If you got some bad fuel you may need to pump out you're tank. Also, as I'm not familiar with your tank setup in that model, but is your "tank a stand alone poly tank or is it a molded in type? On my 28.5 is was originally a molded-glass with a "lid" glued on top. What I'm getting at is that with age you may have some cracks and moisture is getting in. In my case the "adjacent molded-in bubbler box" was boxing my cooling exhaust into the fuel box. J. McCue

S

Sam Lust

Starvation

Sounds to me like a classic case of fuel tank vent blockage.

G

PICKUPTUBE

HAD SAME PROBLEM ON MY HUNTER 30. CHECKED FILTERS, TO NO AVAIL. STILL STARVED FOR FUEL. RAN FOR A WHILE, THEN SLOWLY SHUTDOWN, RAN FOR A WHILE, THEN SLOWLY SHOTDOWN. FOUND PROBLEM IN PICKUP TUBE IN FUELTANK. SEEMS AS THOUGH THERE IS A SMALL WIREMESH STRAINER AT END OF PICKUP TUBE WEIGHT. I TOOK OUT THE PICKUP TUBE (LOOSENED UP NUT AT TOP OF FUELTANK. PULLED OUT PICKUP HOSE AND TOOK OUT THE STRAINER. IT IS SINGLE POINT OF FAILURE. I ALSO PUT A PLASTIC PVC PIPE FITTING ON TANK AND SEAKED IT WITH MARINE TEX. NOW I HAVE AN INSPECTION HOLE IN TANK FOR ROUTINE CLEANING OUT BOTTOM SLUDGE. THE MARINE TEX REALLY WORKED WELL. IT HAS BEEN FIVE YEARS AND NO LEAKS. I EMPTY THE TANK ONCE A YEAR AND CLEAN OUT THE BOTTOM SLUDGE BUILDUP IN THE TANK. I ALSO PUT IN AN ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP IN THE FUEL LINE AND RECYCLE FUEL FOR ROUTINE CLEANING. GOOD LUCK. GEORGE.

R

Rafi

George - HELP!!!

I am convinced I have exactly the same problem you describe. Can you give me some more details on how to pull out the pickup tube? I found the nut you mention on top of the tank, but I am worried about puting the pickup tube back together without any access to the internal side of the tank? you can e-mail me at rafi_p@mailandnews.com Thanks.

R

Rod Leonard

Sleeping engine

I don't know if your fixed, but I just got done fixing my problem on a 45'. There's a elbow that screws into the tank and the fuel pick up screws into that. If you have this combination than unscrew the pick up and you will find a screen filter. Don't forget to check the tube also.

B

Bob Belvin

Dirty screen in Racor filter head

I had the same problem, only motoring in heavy seas. Had to call TowBoatsUS(a great service if you belong to BoatUS). I was towed to port and filled up with fuel. I had half a tankfull. The next morning the same thing happened motoring in the Beaufort back channel. I got to a marina and after 3 hours of a mechanic's time, he discovered the screen in the intake port of the Racor filter head was clogged. The filter had been replaced in Jan. by another marina and was not clogged. The clogging of the screen was probably hastened by the sloshing of a half tank of fuel, 30 to 45 deegrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.