Engine starting procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paulj

2002 C310 #192 I just checked the owners manual and it does not have engine operating instructions. I guess the must be a decal card some where on the boat with the instructions. The boat is having it's hull painted now and cannot board her. Splash down is Thursday April 5. Need some help on how to start fist time. paulj

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Easy...

1) Turn on the battery power 2) Open the raw water intake valve 3) Make sure boat is in neutral 4) Make sure throttle is in idle position 5) Make sure the engine kill lever is pushed closed (red handle) 6) Turn key all the way for 20-30 seconds to pre-heat the glow plugs 7) allow key to retun to on position and hit the black starter button 8) Vroom, vroom, vroom... To shut off engine 1) Put throttle in idle position 2) Pull red engine kill lever up until engine stops 3) Push the engine kill valve back in so it starts next time 3) Turn key off once you hear the buzzer

G

George

C310 starting procedure

Go to the Westerbeke site and down load the operators manual. There are also two service bulletins 195 & 213 about a recall for a fuel bracket and the other about the setting of the engine ideal speed that you should read. Regards George

Feb 21, 2007
- - Quantico, VA
Engine Pre-Lube

I took a diesel maintenance seminar over the winter from Norton's Boat Yard out of Deltaville, VA and the mechanic there recommended that if the engine has sat for more than 24 hours that you should pre-lube the engine. He said this should add a few years to engine life. This is similar to the other post for starting with a couple small differences. Engine Pre-Lube Procedure 1) Turn on the battery power 2) Ensure the raw water intake valve is CLOSED (handle should be at 90 degree angle to valve); this ensures your water muffler does not fill up with water and back up into the cylinders. 3) Make sure boat is in neutral 4) Make sure throttle is in idle position 5) Make sure the engine kill lever is pulled up or open (red handle) 6) Turn key to on position and hit the black starter button for short 1-2 second bursts until oil pressure light goes off 7) Go to engine starting procedure

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It's NOT necessary to have the

raw water thru hull closed for a pre-lube. The only reason to even consider that is that if you crank for more than 30 seconds you'll fill up the muffler with water. That is NOT a good thing to do. However, if you're only turning the engine over a time or two for short bursts, then just go open the thru hull, pull the kill switch up, turn the engine over, then push the kill switch down and start it up. Saves a trip up and down the companionway steps. While I've heard of this from a few sources, we've never done it. 1,900 engine hours, working just fine. Your boat, your choice. Paul, if you haven't yet please buy Nigel Calder's Boatowner's manual for Mechanical and Electrical Systems. It'll take a LOT of mystery out of your new boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.