Engine stalling/ temperature gauge

Oct 15, 2023
Swanson 32 Gore Cove
Hi all, first post here. I got some time ago a swanson 32 and it’s been working great until few days ago where I noticed the temperature gauge going all the way up. Also the beta 28 engine stalls when I turn the key from the ignition.
In the video you can see when I turn the key from the ignition the engine stalls after a few seconds. I’m not sure if the engine stalling and temperature gauge showing so high are related.
Does anyone can point me in the right direction to fix this??

thanks!!

Attachments

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
If you have a diesel engine you should not turn off the ignition key while engine is running. To turn off the engine set to idle then pull the kill cable.
From the sound it appears that the fresh water pump circulating the antifreeze is frozen.
Open the engine cover and have someone else turn on the engine and see if the fan belt is turning and is the water pump pully turning.

• Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am not sure if that engine used a fuel solenoid or not…older diesels had a mechanical fuel cut-off as @JoeWhite said.
Newer ones may use an electronic solenoid that cuts off the fuel when the key is turned off.

It almost seems like this video shows the engine being starved of fuel when the key is turned off…and the temp gauge is also turned off…no way the engine is cooling that fast.

I think @JoeWhite is right….check your cooling water circuit…

Engine cooling water being expelled out of the exhaust? If not, you need to start figuring out where things have broken down…
- Intake / strainer plugged?
- water pump turning?
- impeller in good condition?
- heat exchanger clogged up (if you have one)?
- exhaust elbow plugged)? More of an issue with a Yanmar…

There may be others…these come to mind.

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The ignition switch controls more than just starting the engine. It will also power all the gauges, any electric fuel pumps, the starter solenoid, and the field for the alternator. In your case, turning switch off obviously depowered the gauges and likely an electric fuel lift pump. The engine keeps running for a few seconds because the high pressure pump is mechanical and can continue to pump fuel, thus the engine continues to run for a few seconds until fuel from the lift pump has been used, switching the key back on before the engine comes to a full stop re-energizes the lift pump which supplies the high pressure pump and the engine starts up again.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I am not sure if that engine used a fuel solenoid or not…older diesels had a mechanical fuel cut-off as @JoeWhite said.
Newer ones may use an electronic solenoid that cuts off the fuel when the key is turned off.

It almost seems like this video shows the engine being starved of fuel when the key is turned off…and the temp gauge is also turned off…no way the engine is cooling that fast.

I think @JoeWhite is right….check your cooling water circuit…

Engine cooling water being expelled out of the exhaust? If not, you need to start figuring out where things have broken down…
- Intake / strainer plugged?
- water pump turning?
- impeller in good condition?
- heat exchanger clogged up (if you have one)?
- exhaust elbow plugged)? More of an issue with a Yanmar…

There may be others…these come to mind.

Greg
Good check list. I would add in to check the antifreeze (fresh water side) coolant level.
Yes, a key shut down seems strange but where is the kill lever or switch?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
where I noticed the temperature gauge going all the way up. Also the beta 28 engine stalls when I turn the key from the ignition.
Have you checked your coolant level? You could also have an air lock in your coolant flow. You'll need to "burp" that, and make sure there's no air in the line to your water heater if you have one. Burping is rather simple but it depends on how the engine is laid out. Those of us with Kubotas can take one line off the bottom of the thermostat and after completely filling the coolant through the manifold (radiator cap) just pour coolant into that hose until fluid comes out the bottom of the stat. The stat's the highest point and this gets the air out.
If your electric fuel lift pump is keyed to the ignition even if your fuel tank is above the engine it could still impede fuel flow. Assumes you have clean fuel filters and know about the obscure check valve if you have a Racor 24 series housing.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Check the actual engine temperature at the temperature sender on the engine with an IR thermometer. If it doesn't match the gauge reading, then you have a fault in the gauge circuit. Bad sender, faulty gauge, or a wiring short or open. Before you chase coolant or pump problems, make sure the gauge is not lying to you.
As for stalling when you turn the key off, a loss of the electric fuel pump (if you have it) will account for this. How do you normally turn off the engine?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Good check list. I would add in to check the antifreeze (fresh water side) coolant level.
Yes, a key shut down seems strange but where is the kill lever or switch?
It could be that @dlochner figured it out… electric fuel pump…when he turns the key off, the pump no longer pumps and it eventually runs out of fuel. That makes sense given the engine didn’t die as fast as mine does when I pull the mechanical fuel cutoff.

Greg