Engine size sail boat. Help please.

Aug 22, 2021
1992 mcgregor 26s san diego
We had the dagger board version of your boat which was built prior to yours. We had a 9.9 Honda on the back which did great. But I added a two horsepower Honda for the dinghy and when I tried it pushing the 26 I could get about four and a half or five miles an hour out of the little two horse, so eight is more than enough for you. I too purchased our McGregor 26D having never sailed and having actually never been on board a sailboat. I had a neighbor who said he would teach me to sail, then when the day came his wife and kids were sick so he canceled. We knew we could operate the boat under power and I'd put the sales up and down on the trailer in the yard so I knew how to do that. So our first day out (figuring we could always drop the sales and motor back in) and very calm water we put up the sales and learn to maneuver a bit. The wind increased as the day progressed and by the time the day was over we had white caps and a grin that was difficult to feel off my face. Naturally I learned what a crash jibe was very quickly. I try not to do that anymore. We were entirely self-taught. I would read about something on the internet and then go try it. It worked out fine for us. That was 20 years ago and we are now on our third sailboat which happens to be a 30 ft Hunter. Lessons are good, getting advice and help from a competent sailor makes a lot of sense, but should not keep you from having a lot of fun with that boat.
googling crash JIB now lol!!! thanks man I'm definitely in the same place you are. Sat in my yard for a couple days figuring out what rope goes where lol!!!! I realized that when you buy used boats the previous owners tends to add a lot of extras, took me a minute to figure out all his mods but I think I'm good... Taking out to ocean side Thursday, I'll let you all know I sink. lol

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You are going to be fine. I've been sailing 46 years and I learn something new each time I go out so don't let the unknown slow you down. Part of the fun is anticipating what you will need and having it on board... while not overloading your boat with things you don't need. The process really helps you focus.... and then there is the mental exercise of thinking through what you would do in a certain situation and pre-loading a decision in the back of your mind.

I hope this does not come off as being snobby but I noticed you used the word "rope" in your last post. Sailors try to use very precise vocabulary so that a lot of information can be conveyed quickly. This is important when things go side ways. Here are a few examples,

A rope is a piece of cordage that has not been assigned to a specific purpose. It is the spare cordage down in the locker. Once a piece of rope has been assigned a purpose it becomes a line. For example a dock line is a piece of cordage that has been set up to tie your boat to the pier. Then there are specific names for the types of line used on a boat. For example, all lines used to raise or lower a sail are called halyards (i.e. the main halyard or the jib halyard) and all lines used to control the sail once it is raised are called sheets (main sheet or jib sheet). The line (and/or chain) used to tie the boat to the anchor is called a rode.

It might seem like unnecessary pomp but imagine a T-storm micorbust hits you and you are wrestling the tiller ... you shout at your crew mate "untie that rope".... reply "which rope" ...

...but if you shout "release the main sheet" the intention is very clear.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
You are almost there.
Two comments that are meant to help you on your way there. Not as digs.

Get rid of the flip flops before they get rid of you. Trust me on that one.
Go barefoot or some light mesh shoes
1630133331324.png

You can see scalloping in the jib leach (between the hanks) this indicates that it is not tight enough.

Other than that, the sunglasses, shorts and shirt are just right.

Gary

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You are almost there.
Two comments that are meant to help you on your way there. Not as digs.

Get rid of the flip flops before they get rid of you. Trust me on that one.
Go barefoot or some light mesh shoes
View attachment 197741

You can see scalloping in the jib leach (between the hanks) this indicates that it is not tight enough.

Other than that, the sunglasses, shorts and shirt are just right.

Gary
Basically, flops or sandals, even sandals with heel straps, are generally “dangerous” footware on a sailboat. Deck rigging gets snagged between the foot and shoe which can cause you to trip and maybe fall (overboard). The foot can slide on the shoe with perspiration or other wetness, also causing a loss of balance. NO protection of the toes with flops means sooner or later you’ll stub one against a deck fitting and it will hurt! I’m not much tolerant of bare feet when working the boat for that same reason. Perhaps when at anchor. The shoe pictured is a perfect type.

I think Gary was referring to the “Luff” of the sail at the hanks. Also, it looks like your main halyard is not run “fair.” It should run behind (aft) of the shrouds, not in front of them. Both the jib and the mainsail need tightening.

But congratulations on getting her out on the water!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats. With my reading glasses, I can almost see my self back in the late 60's aboard your boat in the same waters.

It is a grand thing to raise the sails and be pushed by the wind.
Enjoy!:biggrin::beer:

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Congrats on getting it in the water! One other comment concerning your setup. The "lazy sheet" on your jib should be loose, not cleated. That's the one on the windward side of the boat. Then adjust the jib trim with the sheet on the leeward side.

Pick up a copy of Don Guillette's sail trim book and chart here and here:

It will explain all of the sail controls and how to use them. Well worth the price. Good luck with the boat!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I learned the hard way About flip-flops. A story for a longer reply someday