Engine shut down, stuck in FWD

Sep 19, 2020
catalina 30 pensacola
For starters, M25 universal diesel on my Catalina 30 is old and rusty. We were motoring along, at a high rpm trying to outrun a storm. Anyway the engine shut down and sounded like it just froze up. We haven’t had a chance to check on it, but the boat is in gear, and stuck in gear (FWD) so we can’t crank it back up. Any thoughts?

Mar 26, 2014
Macgregor 25 Kaw Lake Oklahoma
For starters, M25 universal diesel on my Catalina 30 is old and rusty. We were motoring along, at a high rpm trying to outrun a storm. Anyway the engine shut down and sounded like it just froze up. We haven’t had a chance to check on it, but the boat is in gear, and stuck in gear (FWD) so we can’t crank it back up. Any thoughts?
It's possible your transmission is locked up. Mine did. 88 MK11

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Disconnect the propeller coupling from transmission and try starting with lowest RPM. Is the primary fuel filter clogged?
Haro

Sep 19, 2020
catalina 30 pensacola
@Ranger_12 sounds like a possibility! How did you fix it? @kloudie1 that too, but the prop is spinning now (heard it moving when we were getting towed).

Sep 19, 2020
catalina 30 pensacola
We haven’t had a chance to check on it, but the boat is in gear, and stuck in gear (FWD) so we can’t crank it back up
They'll crank and start in gear or neutral, so if it won't crank it's not because it's in gear.
@Calif. Ted good to know! This is a new boat. Guy that sold it to me said I need to start it in N

Sep 19, 2020
catalina 30 pensacola
@Ranger_12 sounds like a possibility! How did you fix it? @kloudie1 that too, but the prop is spinning now (heard it moving when we were getting towed).
I ordered a New PRM60D transmission the old Hurth 50 is toast
This is a new boat. Guy that sold it to me said I need to start it in N
You do and should. But in extremis you can in other gears.

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too :)

Diesel Engine - c34.org
Thanks!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
the prop is spinning now (heard it moving when we were getting towed).
Somewhat unrelated to the transmission being stuck in forward, but that’s not a great situation either. Freewheeling the prop while the engine is in forward tends to wear the clutch plates in a Hurth transmission. That’s why you never sail with a Hurth in foreword. Hopefully the duration of the tow wasn’t enough to do any damage there. Once you get the shifting issue sorted make sure the transmission doesn’t slip when it’s in forward. If it does there’s a procedure to roughen the plates back up that involves using diesel as transmission fluid temporarily.

Sep 19, 2020
catalina 30 pensacola
the prop is spinning now (heard it moving when we were getting towed).
Somewhat unrelated to the transmission being stuck in forward, but that’s not a great situation either. Freewheeling the prop while the engine is in forward tends to wear the clutch plates in a Hurth transmission. That’s why you never sail with a Hurth in foreword. Hopefully the duration of the tow wasn’t enough to do any damage there. Once you get the shifting issue sorted make sure the transmission doesn’t slip when it’s in forward. If it does there’s a procedure to roughen the plates back up that involves using diesel as transmission fluid temporarily.
Thanks for the heads up!