engine sealant

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I have a hairline crack in my mixing elbow. Pulling it with the flange that attaches to the heat exchanger. When I re-attach the flange to the heat exchanger, what sealant should I use? I'm thinking permatex #1A

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I have a hairline crack in my mixing elbow. Pulling it with the flange that attaches to the heat exchanger. When I re-attach the flange to the heat exchanger, what sealant should I use? I'm thinking permatex #1A
You don't say what engine you have so we can't give you a precise answer. If it's a Yanmar engine, it probably has a gasket as on my 3GM30F.

Attachments

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
why notjust replace the elbow. if it is cracked outside, it could well not be right inside..... is not that pricey a part..call alex at tradewinds in florida for a new one.. he is reasonable.

this is a part the function of which can control your potential overheating problem. replace it as long as it is off the engine. why tempt fate. BOOM is a s****y sound to hear on a longish passage....lol... so is KA LUNK.

addendum...if you plan on cruising, replace it and buy a spare. you dont want to begin a passage of any length with patched stuff, as it WILL fail on that passage, farthest away from anywhere....yada yada quack quack......(ask me how i know rodlmffao......)

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Cast stainless steel mixing elbow would run me over $700.
I have a reliable ss fab shop that can repair it. If they could not do a good job they wouldnt do it.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I chickened out and ordered a new set from transatlantic diesel. Just over 600 for everything.

I'll slather on some jb weld and keep the old as backup.

And TAD tells me it will go on dry, no need for sealant, gasket only.