Engine RPM/Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Gillan

Jane: If you're experiencing an overheat when you exceed 2800 RPM, it is very likely that your exhaust elbow is coking up and in need of cleaning. The exhaust backpressure will cause the o/heat. You should be able to achieve 3400 RPM easily without associated difficulties. See the archives for a wealth of info on exhaust elbows and overheats. Cheers; Bob Gillan, S/V Far Bugle

S

Steve Fehm

check for clogged intake

I had a similiar problem... eventually found that eel grass was clogging the raw water hose between the thru hull and raw water strainer. most of the time the strainer was clear. Take off the hose ( after closing the thru hull) and clean it out. I'm not so sure you want to run your 2gm at 3400 rpm for any length of time. I try and keep mine under 3000 rpm....Hope this cheap fix works...

S

Scott Johnston

2 more things to check...

Don't forget to check the tension for the belt driving your water pump. This may be slipping at higher rpm's. Also when was the last time your impeller was changed? Could be time for that too. Scott 83-H34 Island Hops

A

Alex

It happend to me..

..and the source ( at that time , there were other overheating occurences..) was definitely a cloged mixing elbow. It should be cleaned rather often. Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.