Engine room fire

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
A week before our sixth race to Mexico, we took Midnight Sun out for an overnight shakedown cruise. About 2 am everything went dark. At first I thought we had lost an alternator belt (we were charging batteries) but immediatley discounted that because we had five batteries on line. 10 seconds later, black acrid smoke started billowing out of the engine compartment. Lookinh into the engine room I could tell it was electrical ( the pile of white hot wires and burning insulation was my first hint). It took just seconds for a number 2 battery cable to melt completely through. That ended the fire but started the nightmare. What had happened was the main battery feed from my forward house battery bank (four group 130 batteries) fell across the exhaust manifold (broken zip tie) melted and caused a direct short involving probably 1000 amps of current. We are in the middle of replacing all the battery switches and cables. Still don't know about collateral damage (alternator, starter, refrig, etc)

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Sorry to this happened to you. Please let us know what happens.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I can't imagine having that happen. Pretty scary stuff. I'm assuming you got back to port OK. Did you need a tow or did you manage to sail that monster back to the slip?

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
We sailed back to the yacht club. You haven't lived until you try to back into a slip under sail at 4 am.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
We sailed back to the yacht club. You haven't lived until you try to back into a slip under sail at 4 am.
Yeah...never attempted that. You had enough power for Nav lights and such?

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
After the battery cable burned completely through, We were able to use the engine start battery for lights.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I guess this is why one should have a fuse within a reasonable distance from the positive terminal of any battery, good to hear that you and your boat survived such and incident, many have been far less fortunate. Backing in under sail, now that is a sight to behold.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Glad your ok and the boat is intact aside from some very minor repairs considering what could have happened. I would definitely install that fuse assembly at the battery first like DayDreamer mentioned.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes Blaise :(. Glad that you and Midnight Sun survived. When you have time, can you speculate on what the root cause may have been? It would be good to share with the folks here... Certainly ABYC electrical practice has changed since our boats were built; I have tried to update my electrics along the way. I installed battery fuses a couple of years ago and replaced the main wiring feeding the DC panel and added a fuse to that line about 10 years ago. Its a constant process of rejuvenating these old boats but I think its worth it. Does this mean the Mexico race is off this year?

EDIT: just re-read your original post - it seems the primary cause was a broken zip tie? Quelle bummer!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I'm also sorry to hear about the trouble, but very very glad you saved the boat without injury to any crew.

Fuse the batteries. This is exactly why to do it. ABYC is wrong allowing an exception for starters IMHO. (unless it's a giant Cummins diesel or something). But fuse em anyway. You would have been tracing a blown fuse rather than a potentially life-threatining fire.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Wow! Thanks for posting your experience. I will be checking the zip ties holding up my main 12V leads. And maybe I'll add a few more for good measure.

On my boat, a 1980 Cherubini Hunter 36, none of the 12V battery cables to the the A/B/Both switch are routed near the exhaust the manifold. And I have my batteries fused on the + terminal. Still ... I am going to check everything out.

Might I suggest that you also post your experience on Ask All Sailors? Its not just for us Cherubini folks. Everyone should be aware what can happen on older classic boats.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Wow! Glad you're OK. I've experienced an on-board fire. :yikes: Nothing scarier.

sailnc

Sep 6, 2014
Hunter 37C New Bern, NC
Well, you have just convinced me to add fuses to our batteries too! Thanks for sharing the story, and I'm glad you avoided major disaster.
Like others I'm also working through the electrical system on our 37C. So many additions & mods have been made by previous owners, and plenty of "mystery" wires!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Very scary and I am impressed with the skills used to return your slip.
I will be checking the zip ties holding up my main 12V leads.
First, I have no experience with larger boats, engine rooms or in board motors. I ask this as a curiosity, not a criticism.
Is it common to use zip ties to support battery (or any kind of) cables so they do not drop onto moving or hot motor parts? I've always thought of zip ties being used for bundling up wires for neatness but not for critical items. Curious why not use cable clamps for more permanent support?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Very scary and I am impressed with the skills used to return your slip.

First, I have no experience with larger boats, engine rooms or in board motors. I ask this as a curiosity, not a criticism.
Is it common to use zip ties to support battery (or any kind of) cables so they do not drop onto moving or hot motor parts? I've always thought of zip ties being used for bundling up wires for neatness but not for critical items. Curious why not use cable clamps for more permanent support?
In engine rooms they are supposed to be metal. This along with a lack of over current protection are some of the most common items that fail to comply with the minimum safety standards.

Unless your battery cables are in a protective conduit there is really no good reason for not fusing every battery bank on-board in order to protect the wire from the battery bank..