Engine repair online course

Jun 16, 2020
Hinckley Sou’wester 30 Falmouth ME
I have an inboard Gray Marine gasoline engine that I would like to become smarter about. I was thinking about taking an online course on small engine repair to give myself some confidence in fixing potential issues. Does anyone have recommendations on the best courses to take? I suppose if I can find a local “hands on“ course, that might be even more effective?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Might check your Handy Boat Yard in Falmouth, ME, who might offer courses, or at least direct you to a local marine engine maintenance school. Below is one link to an online course.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
In my home town there are adult education classes that use the shop facilities of the local high schools.
In general the adult education program is a wonderful facility and includes art music languages and tech skills. I took a welding class and made a boarding ladder.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I'm self taught with engines, but I've overhauled quite a few. An online course might be a good place to start, but there's no substitute for the confidence that actual experience gives you. That first start after a complete tear down and rebuild makes you feel completely different--like a fighter pilot's first kill! You might try getting an old engine--a lawnmower that someone is throwing away, for example--and overhauling it. Try to find an engine that has overhead valves (OHV) and pressure lubrication (i.e., an oil pump). Not all small engines do. That way, you'll have all the same basic components as a more complex engine, just fewer of them.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
US Power Squadrons have an engine maintenance course that is available for a nominal cost. You may be able to purchase the book; however, you need to be a member to attend the class. (likely suspended for now with covid closures). The course was basic with theoretical topics and systems review for simple trouble shooting if having problems while on the water in addition to basic preventive maintenance reviews. There is certainly no hands on experience in repairing and rebuilding. As others have mentioned, you can try local community college trade schools for engine repair classes that may be offered as non credit courses.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
One of the boatyards near me (Crowleys) puts on an open house each spring. They have a big sale on bottom paint, gear, parts, etc. they also put on several classes. Some are sailing related (sail trim, etc.), some are repair related (fiberglass work, teak maintenance) and they usually have a maintenance class or 2 (engines, electrical).

I am mostly self-taught, but being able to see the parts, ask questions, etc.

Greg