Engine removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Running take out Yanmar 2GM20F, 16HP, with a Kanzak model KM2-C transmission. Gear ratio: 2.62, engine has 206.5 hrs. Comes with instrument panel. Will need 1 rear engine mount and key. Purchased to repower a Catalina 30 but the boat was sold before installation.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
206 hours is pretty darn low. Have him strap it to a pallet and ship it freight.

May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
Bob, Again I want to thank you for doing research for me. I don't know much about the 2GM20 series. What years were they made (I don't know that I want to buy a 30 year old motor) and what is the 'footprint'? I want something that is 'drop in' or close to it so I don't need to make a lot of modifications. I'm not familiar with how the engine beds on a 9.2A are but I would think the configuration is different from the 9.2C. My engine beds are above the level of the cabin sole (by about 4 inches) and they straddle the bilge.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
No big deal. Since I have the same drive train I am doing future research for myself. The GM series replaced the QM series, so it would be 20 years old instead of 30. Plus, rebuilds never last as long as new. A site I saw had a rebuilder suggesting that you may only get 5000 hours from a rebuilt instead of 10000 hours from new. Plus, there are quick and dirty rebuilts and thorough ones to further muddy things. Given the crack in the head your engine might not be a very good "core" either.

May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
There is a guy named Al in WI selling remanufactured engines complete with warranty for $3-4K. 715.779-3266 which is Schooner Bay Marina in WI. Might be worth a call to see if he has any parts. He seems to have many rebuilt engines in stock.

Bob, I called yesterday and he doesn't have any heads right now but took my phone number in case he gets any.

Status
Not open for further replies.