ENGINE PANEL QUESTION

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
On my engine panel I have two push buttons. One is the glow plug and the other is the start button. I have seen these little button covers that screw on, rubber with an aluminum threaded side. To be proactive and avoid any corrosion, is it wise to apply a health amount of synthetic lubricant inside?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Robert,

That's one way and involves some detailed work with panel removal or partial.

We decided to cover the panel with clip in buttons fasteners and a Sunbrella cover.

In 20 years I've had to replace the voltmeter and the inigition switch on a 32 year old boat.

Works for me! :)

Good luck.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
These are cheap so you might want to pull them and replace. I had one fail completely and just decided to pull and replace the pair. If you have gotten 20 years out of them it's probably time. That way you don't get surprised some day when you are out on the water with the little lady.

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Not to hijack the thread, but I need to replace my water temp guage on 'Admiral' panel on O'Day 272. Faceplate broke vertically through guage hole, and I can't hold it together enough to replace guage. New panel is available. Is there a 'preferred/easy way' to replace faceplate and reconnect wires to guage? There's a lot of wires...!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It’s easy to fab a new panel using 1/8” black starboard. If you don’t want to do it yourself chec with Tapp plastic they may be able to cut it out given the old panel without gauges. Or if you have maker stuff at the library or other community org.

To do the change over
1) take lots of pictures front and back
2) come up with a numbering scheme and mark all wires with masking tape and the number, if you know what it’s for mark that on the tape. Annotate your pictures with same numbering as on the tape.