Engine Oil In Bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 1981 C-30 Milwaukee
I have a 1981 C-30 powered with a Universal 5411 2 cyl diesel. I ran the motor for 3-4 hours last weekend and discovered a good amount of engine oil floating on top of the bilge water. The dip stick indicated I was approx. 1/2 quart low, assuming the add mark and full mark are seperated by a quart.

I cleaned everrything up. Degreased the engine and bilge, refilled to the full mark. I ran the engine several times but can not find any leaks or drips. I was motoring on a day with 4-5 foot waves.

Anyone experience this? I suspect it will happen again if I don't find the source and repair it. Any possibility it burped out of the dip stick tube because of thrashing the oil in the pan around from rough seas?

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Fwiw, a friend had a similar issue and it ended up being a pinhole in a filter. Could only see it when the engine was running.

Worth checking.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That's a good thing to check.

Also, have you replaced your dipstick recently? The rubber seal could have deteriorated meaning buy a new dipstick (I did when i bought the boat), or you simply could have left it out of the dipstick hole, meaning to check the oil before firing the engine up - like I did last week! I pushed it down almost immediately before any oil could get out, but that's a candidate, too.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I also have the 5411 diesel (C 30, 1980). My engine was rebuilt by a P.O. but still has a few minor leakage points here & there. Specifically there is a hose fitting coming out from the top of the outside of the valve cover that leads back to the airfilter /metal element. I assume this is for air /oil seperator blowback / bypass. But it is not described in the Universal manual. My air hose at this locale is missing & I believe that it spits a lil' oil blow by at high rpms. Also all universal engines are known to suffer from rusting of the oil pan beneath the motor due to its very close proximity to the bilge water. The central loction of the engine is great for weight distribution but bad for the motor due to condensation occurring under the motor. A mirror placed under the pan can aid in visual inspection of the metal. Replacing a rusted out pan is a major job, requiring partial jacking & engine lifting. Hopefully U won't have to go there. Bilge oil absorbing cloths can help prevent oil droplets from leaking into the bilge water.

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 MkII Foss Harbor Marina, Tacoma, WA
...possible you lost some oil on the last filter change? Easy to do.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Once you get a drop of oil in the bilge it goes a really long way! It is hard to get out as well so you will be showing a little here and there for a while. Give your bilge a really good cleaning.

Oct 16, 2005
Catalina 30 MKIII Mantoloking Shores NJ
Blue Hull

I also have oil in bilge. Just started this spring when i got her ready to put in. I have no oil in pan under engine.....so i am baffled by that problem as well

hal

Mar 19, 2009
Catalina 30 Apollo Beach Florida
Strange enough, I had a bottle in reserve in the port side lazarette and it developed a small hole which led to it draining into the bilge and it took me by surprise that that was the cause to oil running into the bilge. Just a reminder that it could be anything and everything should be looked into!

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Blue Hull, before I repowered my old engine bilge was always dirty. It always appeared to have an oil leak. Part of it was a tiny diesel leak. once the fuel hits the bilge it would look like fuel. it was a total mess........Seems like I could never get every bit of oil, and once the diesel mixed it would turn black....boy I don,t miss those days. Red

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
ps. I also had a minor diesel leak on my 5411 where the small fuel line runs from the fuel filter to the engine. There is a surprisingly flimsy piece of bent wire there used as a clip, which I replaced with a proper s.s. band clamp. Check all of your original looking clamps on the 5411 & replace them if suspect. Diesel fuel also looks a lot like oil when spilled as drops in bilge water, but it has that distinctive reaking smell that lasts & lasts & lasts.....

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
i don't think it can leak enough but there is a pinhole in the water pump that is designed to leak before bearing failure. I had a slight oil spray on the engine. When I replaced the pump I was surprised how bad it looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.