Engine not cranking

Oct 16, 2005
Catalina 30 MKIII Mantoloking Shores NJ
After a looooong repair from Sandy Damage, Hallie Luna finally splashed July 4th weekend. Since the yard did not winterize the engine, they would not start it. So, new batteries installed etc..... I threw the key in, turned the switch, waited for about 20 seconds, them pushed the "push to start" button. It was frozen. I sprayed a little pb blaster on it and it moved. So I did the hole routine again. When I hit the button to start the engine, I got nothing.....no clicking, no engine cranking, nothing. So after checking the posts on this site, I changed the push to start button....nothing. I cleaned the terminals on the ignition switch, cleaned all connections on solenoid and tried again. This time I got a click or two then nothing. The alarm doesn't even sound anymore. Then I realized that the battery that I had selected was down to about 2.5 volts :eek:! Something is very wrong here. Any thoughts? Unfortunately I am not to handy with electrical.

Thanks in advance!
Hal

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
.......I am a bit confused as you mentioned you installed new batteries; however, when you checked the volts they measured only 2.5! I had a similar issue where I was just barely getting a "click" out of the solenoid and I had to purchase new batteries. The engine started up almost instantly. I suggest before replacing anymore ignition related parts to recharge your batteries to optimal voltage output or grab your car battery and try starting the engine with the proper voltage push. I bet that will work.

Bob
Mark II

Oct 16, 2005
Bob
the batteries where brand new, fully charged. after my "issue" the one i had selected was drawn down to 2.5 volts. Thinkin something is "on" and drawing on better. Maybe a back connection at the alternator?

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Check the engine ground to make sure that is working. Sometimes there are issues with it and you simply take the ground off of the engine, sand it, and then put it back on. There is a way to bypass the button on the engine by going to the starter and touching the two ends.

Now...if you are seeing 2.5 volts the batteries are dead and gone. You will need to replace them.

Oct 16, 2005
Already replaced them. I thought I cleaned the ground at the engine as well. It was located aft of starter on the block. My problem is figuring out what is what on the engine etc...

Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
I don't understand the PB Blaster part. What did you spray. First be sure the engine is free by turning the engine by hand, note the direction of roatation. Check oil, coolant, clean battery grounds, be sure the battries are fully charged. Then try again.

Oct 16, 2005
the push to start button would;d not depress. sprayed a little bit on button. thats all.Did the check list you mentions as well.

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
First, get a volt meter and check voltage at the battery. Are the battery cables the first thing on the battery studs? Battery cables clean and tight? You probably just have a loose connection. Sometimes after a boat has been idle for a while the battery switch terminals can get corroded. Briskly rotate the battery switch to all positions. Keep looking and you will find it.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Hal....

Got it on the leak down, which you will have to trace (water pump?, refrigeration?, instrumentation? radio(s)?, lights?, etc), but replacing the starter button is not expensive and might be worth your while to purchase a new one. I had to do that with my M-18. Using pb blaster to loosen an electrical switch is not a good idea. Its probably well lubricated even at the electrical contact point. Going forward use an electrical parts cleaner that will not leave a residue. A new switch is cheap insurance.

Bob

Oct 16, 2005
Thanks Stu
I knew one was there from prior postings, just had zero idea where it was. I will check again when i go back down to the shore.

Oct 16, 2005
Here's an update....got to boat and looked for the in-line fuse. Of course couldn't find it. So I purchased a new ignition switch. I hooked it up one terminal at a time so I did not mess up wiring. When I went below, I connected the battery terminals and turned battery selector switch to 1. The engine cranked by it self! I'm baffled.
Any thoughts? I am back to square one...no alarm when key turned to on etc...