Engine mount replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keith

I need to replace the engine mounts for the SB 8 Yanmar, and am seeking advice on where to find them and whether there are "standard" sizes (Boat US carries a range of mounts; has anyone used Boat US mounts?) Also, are there different mounts for the front and back? The front mounts have a nut above and below the mounting bracket (making it possible to remove the top nut) while the rear mounts don't have the nut on the bottom (making it impossible to remove the top nut). Needless to say, the nuts are very rusted and the Dremmel tool looks like the only removal option. I also want to install a flexible coupling and would like to hear of others' experience with using them. Thanks for your advice.

S

Sam Lust

Mounts

The proper mounts are readily available from your friendly local Yanmar dealer or Mack Boring via mail. They are by no means cheap but they are right, and designed to protect the hull from the vibration of the engine while maintaining reasonably correct alignment. Generally the fronts and backs are different hardness. The missing nuts on your rear mounts is incorrect and must be adversely affecting alignment. There is a flexible coupling on my 3GM30 and it seems to do a good job. Check the Props and Drive Trains forum for more info on that. Search the archives for info on mounts and alignment. There have been numerous discussions on those subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.