Engine Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I've been playing around with the Noland Engineering Engine Data Converter http://www.nolandeng.com/rs11.php. Model is RS11 and costs $230. This is the cheapest engine monitor for Nmea2000 systems that I have seen.

It is reletivly easy to setup via its RS232 interface and WinXp Software.

I simulated the various sensor inputs and you can see that in the attached photo. I hooked it up to my Garmin 720 chartplotter. They say you should have guages already present but as long as there is voltage to the sensor you should be OK.

You get 4 analog inputs and 2 tach inputs.

Now I have to see how to attach the various senors to a 3GM30F while still leaving the alarm sensors.

Another project:D

Attachments

Jan 26, 2011
Beneteau 323 Manly Queensland Aust
Hey Joker460,

I had originally looked at the Maretron EMS100-01 which is USD399 plus you need a cable loom for the yanmar motors.
Let me know how you go as I have had a look at the link and i reckon that would go well on my 2GM20F and doesn't appear to difficult to set-up either.
I have a new plotter with Can Bus 2000 so will be able to have engine info on the pedestal in front of me.

Les

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2011
joker460 said:
I've been playing around with the Noland Engineering Engine Data Converter http://www.nolandeng.com/rs11.php. Model is RS11 and costs $230. This is the cheapest engine monitor for Nmea2000 systems that I have seen.

It is reletivly easy to setup via its RS232 interface and WinXp Software.

I simulated the various sensor inputs and you can see that in the attached photo. I hooked it up to my Garmin 720 chartplotter. They say you should have guages already present but as long as there is voltage to the sensor you should be OK.

You get 4 analog inputs and 2 tach inputs.

Now I have to see how to attach the various senors to a 3GM30F while still leaving the alarm sensors.

Another project:D
Hi there Joker460 have you fitted the RS11 yet? Would love to know how you go

Les

Apr 27, 2010
Taroona do you know how frigging cold it is here. :D:D:eek:

I'm still hoping for a warm streak (+7 C this coming Monday) before going to the boat.

I do have the temp and pressure senders now as shown in the pics.

I'd love to live a bit further south of the 49th, no really further south!

I 'll keep you apprised of my progress.

Attachments

Jan 26, 2011
joker460 said:
Taroona do you know how frigging cold it is here. :D:D:eek:

I'm still hoping for a warm streak (+7 C this coming Monday) before going to the boat.

I do have the temp and pressure senders now as shown in the pics.

I'd love to live a bit further south of the 49th, no really further south!

I 'll keep you apprised of my progress.
Thanks for the update, it's gonna be 29C here today :)

Apr 27, 2010
Well I'm back on this project for those following.

I have mounted the oil pressure sender. Tomorrow I will install the water temp sensor. I have the parts to build the constant current device that will supply voltage to the senders and the NoLand Engineering Nmea2000 unit.

Still have to route the Nmea2000 wiring. That should be fun.

Pictures to follow.

Jan 26, 2011
Has it warmed up over there? Starting to cool off here now, down to 12C overnight and 21c during the day

Jan 26, 2011
Hi Joker,

Nice photo's, looking forward to the end result.

Can you tell me what you have under you motor please, is it some sort of absorbent material.

Les

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I was able to find an unused coolant port on my thermostat housing for a Maretron EMS install on my 4JH3E, you should have a location also. Keep an eye on those engine - WH hose connections, they like to leak.

Apr 27, 2010
Gunni

I checked and there are no extra ports on the thermostat housing that I have.

Jan 18, 2010
Beneteau 311 Cayman Islands
Hi Joker,

Can you tell me what you have under you motor please, is it some sort of absorbent material.

Les
Taroona, they are engine pan absorbent sheets. I have the same in my boat, but I'm thinking I'm going to take them out. They catch drips, but I think cleaning the fiberglass is easier (and more environmentally friendly) than having to throw these away.

here's a link to the product: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...mber=267310&langId=-1&searchKeyword=absorbant

Apr 27, 2010
Yep, watercayman is correct. Some of the Marinas up here mandate the use of them. I know of one marina where the harbour master comes onboard to check that you have one and if not, gives you one.
Tough enviromental crowd

Last edited:

CESLAW

Apr 14, 2012
Beneteau 373 Grandrivers, ky
Even though it sends a data signal through the boats network, I am guessing a Raymarine C series chart plotter won't display the data. Being able to see the engine functions on the chart plotter would be really nice. Would anyone happen to know?

I also wonder if one can tap into senders already connected to analog gauges. For example, I added a temp sensor at the thermostat of my Yanmar 3JH4E which is connected to an analog gauge. Sure would be nice if one could just tap into that existing sender

Chuck

Apr 27, 2010
You can do what I'm doing with the New C-Series Chart plotters from Raymarine. You can also tap off your existing gauge senders to the NoLand Engineering Engine monitor.
The New C-Series has Nmea2000 networking.
It should work. You'll have to do your own research.
Good Luck

Apr 27, 2010
OK, I located the constant current box and engine monitor in the battery compartment. Wired in the senders. Temporarily laid in the nmea200 cable to the chartplotter. Temporarily connected power since I'm waiting for a new DC Distribution Panel. I have documented the photo's.
So far it works great. It would have been cheaper to add gauges but not as fun and I can always expand the network when the old sensors die.

I can hyjack my own thread and say I managed to find an old Xantrex remote for my inverter on Ebay and mounted it.

Attachments

May 18, 2012
Really neat Joker!!

Apologies for ignorance, but did you have to replace your existing gauges? I would have hoped it is good to have redundancy.

Thanks, and nice job

Apr 27, 2010
@fluiddynamicist

Thanks. I didn't have any gauges to start with , that's why I had to build the current source box. It replaces the gauges by supplying a constant current through the senders. The voltage varies from 0-5 volts as the senders resistance changes. I then apply that voltage to the analog inputs on the Noland Engineering engine monitor.

I could have added gauges but that would defeat the purpose of using the Nmea2000 network.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.