Engine Monitor

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Just completed this year’s project of installing an engine monitor that displays my engine gauges on my chart plotter. I used a Noland rs11 converter device connected to my 1980 Yanmar 2qm15 and my obsolete Raymarine C120 plotter. There were a few problems to solve with the older equipment but I am satisfied with the result.
F708A6BC-E8DA-4894-9614-14EF16B639E1.jpeg
A7F8F83A-A981-4DD2-B519-6EA1A34B479D.jpeg

Attachments

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Have been wanting this for years. Too afraid to start it myself, and finding someone to do it is a joke. Kudos! Would you be willing to post some detail on this? Very curious how you managed it. Looks fantastic.

Aug 10, 2010
Hunter 36, Quarter Berth Model Placid Harbor, Cuckold Crk, Patuxent River
Very nice indeed! Interested in some details as well. Thanks for posting.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Details: The installation was somewhat limited by my old Raymarine C120 plotter. That plotter can only display certain instrument inputs. Ammeter, for example, is not available. Further, the C120 has an input port for the NMEA2000 cable buss but it is not directly connectable to the standard cable end and no adaptor is available. That port is what Raymarine refers to as Seatalk2. I had to cut the Seatalk2 end off of a Raymarine cable and splice it to a standard NEMA2000 cable, matching wire colors. The Noland rs11 device is, to me, overly delicate with wire inputs similar in design to a home thermostat. I added a more robust terminal strip and mounted both to a backboard that you can see in the photo. Connecting to the engine is not difficult. You connect a new wire (I used 16Ga throughout) from a terminal on the rs11 to each existing instrument sender wire. You can connect the new rs11 wire to either end of the existing sender wire; at the sender end or at the gauge end. This does not alter the existing gauge reading. You can also add a new sender to your engine without a gauge and connect that directly to the rs11. I did just that with a new oil pressure sender which I did not have before. You are required to use a windows based laptop to set the rs11 up for your particular application. The instructions that came with the device were not very good concerning the Windows application and I had to get an expert (my grandson) to help me with that part of the project. The rs11 comes with the software required to configure the device. Instructions could be improved but you can muddle through. The NEMA2000 cable buss that runs from the rs11 to the plotter is all standardized and you can mix and match any company's components and they will connect together.

This project's costs were low for a boat project. In round numbers, $400 for the rs11, $100 for wire and cables, $100 for the oil pressure sender that I never had before. In labor (all mine) many internet hours were not recorded researching compatibility with my old chartplotter. An email to Noland concerning this was never answered. I proceeded on faith and was eventually rewarded with success. Actual wiring on the boat was probably about six hours. Calibrating and configuring with the laptop was difficult due to the instruction shortcomings and the ever changing patchwork Windows operating system. I spent maybe six hours here but someone more familiar with Windows and perhaps more computer oriented would take far less time.

It will be nice to be able to monitor my engine from the helm by simply glancing at the plotter. My original gauges are at shoe level and my eyesight is not as good as it should be. I hope my explanation is comprehensive enough to convince you to either proceed with the project on your boat or give it a pass. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
thanks for the details on your project. impressive work. I'm tempted to give it a try, although I mostly have just idiot lights on my MD 2030 Volvo Penta.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Idiot lights are connected to simple engine senders that cannot support a variable output for a gauge. However, suitable senders are readily available and are not overly expensive. In my case, I already had added an engine temperature sender and gauge and I purchased a new oil pressure sender that had a terminal for the idiot light and a separate terminal for a gauge. A catalog from a sender manufacturer will help you with your selections. The hardest part will be matching pipe threads on the sender to pipe threads on the engine. Thread Adaptors are available from McMaster Carr and others.

Sep 19, 2021
Hunter 30c Whitby
Great project. Does your temperature sender provide both variable and high temp signals? I bought a temp sender and gauge from Yanmar but as there is only one temp connection on the engine I think I would lose the High temp alarm if I installed the variable sender. Any thoughts?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Very nice job, @RoyS . I'm jealous

The Noland rs11 device is, to me, overly delicate with wire inputs similar in design to a home thermostat. I added a more robust terminal strip and mounted both to a backboard that you can see in the photo.
I like what you did there. I bought the Chinese CX5003, which has fairly fragile-feeling screw-clamp terminals, but they might be strong enough. I'll use 16AWG, too, having considered 24 and 22AWG and deciding they are too delicate.
You are required to use a windows based laptop to set the rs11 up for your particular application.
One reason I didn't buy the RS-11.
$400 for the rs11
The other reason I didn't buy the RS-11! I paid $75 for the CX5003. It's not user programmable, as the RS-11 is, but I think that for what I need it's fine. I just want oil pressure, coolant temp and RPM on the plotter at the helm. Fuel and water levels are a bonus: it will handle my one fuel tank, two water tanks, and waste tank. (I don't have senders for one water tank or the waste tank yet, but that's coming.)

I bought a NMEA2000 to Simnet cable for $28 at West Marine. I have a spare port on a Simnet 7-prong multi-joiner. There's a jumper on the CX5003 to select the resistance range of level sensors, US or European standard. There's a DIP switch to configure the tach pole number RPM ratio. Should be all I need.

I hope I can have the success you had, and the neatness of installation, but with less time! :)

• Helpful