Engine Issue

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
Well, I think I blew up my engine Friday.

I went to the boat yard to winterize my boat. Last year I used the in-out bucket method, and everything went fine. This year, not so much.

1. I filled a five-gallon bucket with water from a hose, then turned the off the water flow using a local valve.
2. I attached a nylon water line to the water pump, and filled nylon line with water, then closed the valve and the end to maintain the vacuum. I then placed this line in the bucket and opened the valve.
3. Both hoses were in the bucket along with clamps to ensure they did not fall out of the bucket.
4. I started the engine. The water level in the bucket began to draw down, and I turned the water supply from the hose on to maintain a steady level. I then went topside and verified that water coming from exhaust. Everything looked good.
5. After about two minutes, I heard a loud bang from the engine. Out of fear and panic, I ran topside and pulled the fuel cut-off

My immediate thoughts were that I had hyrdro-locked the engine, which is why I ran to the fuel cut-off, but I can't see how. I thought the in-out bucket would prevent any chance of hyrdolocking the engine. I don't think the engine could not of overheated, it wasn't running that long and water was going through the engine, as evidenced by the water flow and exhaust.

I did not try and restart the engine out of fear of doing additional damage if it was hydrolocked. I kinda just sat there in shock.

I did not check the oil for water, nor did I try to rotate the engine manually. I kind just wanted to avoid making a bad situation worse, and wanted a diesel mechanic to come out and check it all out. I am depressed.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Well, I think I blew up my engine Friday.
I don't think there's one of us that hasn't thought that at least once in their boating life :p.

I don't think there's anyway in hell you could have hydrolocked your engine. You did everything correctly to avoid such a thing. It's got to be something else which will be far less serious.

We'll be interested to see what your mechanic has to say what the problem was. Please keep us up to date.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Sounds like a perfectly good winterization process to me too. The engine can’t know the difference between a hose in a bucket and a hose in seawater under the boat (assuming the bucket isn’t way up high somewhere).

May 19, 2016
Sounds like a perfectly good winterization process to me too. The engine can’t know the difference between a hose in a bucket and a hose in seawater under the boat (assuming the bucket isn’t way up high somewhere).
Yes, the bucket was sitting on the floor next to the settee, to prevent overcoming the anti-siphon after shutoff. I thought I covered all my bases.

May 19, 2016
................................ without the big bang :facepalm:.

So it's something much less.
I did this a few days ago, and over that time I thought that a hyrolock would stop the engine as well, as compression would be impossible. The loud bang scared me and I was off so fast to shut it down I did not think. I read before that hydrolocks could bend piston pins, which would certainly cause a bang.

I am pretty sure it wasn't the transmission, which I would not start the engine in gear; the boat is on stands.

I hope and pray that it was nothing, or something very small. I don't think I would replace an engine in this boat, but would look to replace. I have rebuilt an engine in a car before, and I would not like to repeat the process.

Jan 4, 2006
which would certainly cause a bang.
Probably more of a shuddering grunt.

Seems like the mechanic hasn't arrived yet. If you get a chance, check over the engine without disturbing it too much before the mechanic arrives. Is the exhaust hose still in one piece ? This would be noisy if it came off. Anything else out of place ?

May 19, 2016
Probably more of a shuddering grunt.

Seems like the mechanic hasn't arrived yet. If you get a chance, check over the engine without disturbing it too much before the mechanic arrives. Is the exhaust hose still in one piece? This would be noisy if it came off. Anything else out of place?
As I said, I kind just clumped over in shock and disbelief. I did not look at anything really. I replaced the intake hose on the pump, just in case. Then continued winterizing. If I don't hear from the mechanic by Friday, I will drive back to the yard and check it out. I figured the least I could do was check the oil for water. My engine is a Universal M3-20B, which the manual says does not have decompression levers, so turning the engine via wrench would be difficult. I was afraid to try and start via starter because I don't want to cause any damage or additional damage.

Jan 4, 2006
My engine is a Universal M3-20B, which the manual says does not have decompression levers,
Use a V-belt and very HEAVY gloves to turn the engine. If the rings have dried, you should be able to slowly turn it with air leakage around the rings.

May 19, 2016
Thanks all, the engine is all good (lots of praying)

I went back to the yard today and was able to start the engine without issue.

I checked the water pump impeller,, it was good. I checked the oil, it was good; no signs of water intrusion. I then hooked up my in-out bucket and was able to start the engine without issue. Water was ejecting from the exhaust, the engine got up to temperature, and I was able to winterize it as normal.

In hindsight, I think I had the throttle too low last week and the engine was probably running extremely rough. It started to shake, bang, I got scared and panicked shutting off the engine thinking the worst. Last week, after starting the engine I turned the throttle completely as low as it could go as I ran down below in haste to ensure the hose was turned on in the bucket to maintain the flow for colling. Usually, I allow the engine to run at a slightly higher RPM until it gets a little warm, then back off. e.g. 1500 RPM to start, then after two minutes reduce to 1000 RPMs or below. Today, I started it normally and reduced it after a few minutes, and the engined hummed beautifully.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks all, the engine is all good (lots of praying)

I went back to the yard today and was able to start the engine without issue.

I checked the water pump impeller,, it was good. I checked the oil, it was good; no signs of water intrusion. I then hooked up my in-out bucket and was able to start the engine without issue. Water was ejecting from the exhaust, the engine got up to temperature, and I was able to winterize it as normal.

In hindsight, I think I had the throttle too low last week and the engine was probably running extremely rough. It started to shake, bang, I got scared and panicked shutting off the engine thinking the worst. Last week, after starting the engine I turned the throttle completely as low as it could go as I ran down below in haste to ensure the hose was turned on in the bucket to maintain the flow for colling. Usually, I allow the engine to run at a slightly higher RPM until it gets a little warm, then back off. e.g. 1500 RPM to start, then after two minutes reduce to 1000 RPMs or below. Today, I started it normally and reduced it after a few minutes, and the engined hummed beautifully.
Good news!

Greg

Jan 4, 2006
Good to hear. Sounded a little to catastrophic not to have sent a piston flying over your head.

As I said, I kind just clumped over in shock and disbelief.
I've had a few hairy instances where I've kind of "slumped over in shock and disbelief" but I've never faced a situation where I "clumped over in shock and disbelief" and hope I never do :yikes:.

It's all how you learn about these iron beasts.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Yes, I had nearly the same experience after leaving my engine idling for a few minutes at about 800 rpm. The next time I went to start it I found it hydrolocked. Drained the cylinders, changed the oil and raised the idle speed to 1,000 rpm and will modify the exhaust system to drain better by gravity alone next Spring. The point is, when the engine idles slowly with a wet exhaust system employing a water lift muffler, the seawater may build up within the exhaust system instead of being expelled.