engine instuments to replace lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ernie Tetrault

Has anyone replaced the "idiot lights" with readable instuments (for temp.,charge, and oil)? Or how about adding a tachometer?

T

Thomas FitzGibbon

Check the Archives

I remember this being discussed awhile (maybe a year) ago. You shouild check the archives. Also, someone had provided me a schematic via e-mail that explained some of this (I think it was for an oil pressure guage installation, but I don't 100% remember since I decided not to do the installation). I'll check at home and see if I still have the e-mail. Tom FitzGibbon S/V Plan B

R

Roy Mosteller

Engine Instruments Added to 2GM20F

I added water temp, oil pressure and engine hour gauges to Yanmar 2GM20F on my 30T and they all work great. The original idiot lights also operate. If this is same diesel as on your 33 I would be happy to send details including photographs.

B

Bruce Mulford

Want to know how to do instruments on 2Gm20F

I also have a 2GM20F in my 29.5 and would like to know how you installed the instruments, especially at the sender end. Please add an expalain how you connected, particularly at the engine end. Thanks!

J

John Tesoriero

Engine instruments

Having looked into the problem of replacing the "idiot lights" on my 2QM15, here is what I found or did. I installed an alternator driven Tachometer. Teleflex makes one for diesels. I had Yanmar add an additional wire to the 35 Amp alternator for an output to the Tachometer. With an independent calibration it seems to work OK. You can buy a temp sender for the Yanmar 2QM15 for either the idiot/warning light or for a temp gauge, but not both. There does not seem to be any other place in the cylinder water jacket to add a second sensor. After thinking it over, the warning light & sound seemed to be the safer option. I added a larger water intake (3/4") and a sea strainer with larger hoses and have not had a problem in three years. As a second option, you can install a water flow sensor on the intake line, as a back-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.