Engine hour meter is intermittent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
My boat has the Volvo MD-2030D diesel, and the standard control panel with a combo tach / engine-hour meter. The hour meter is intermittent - it registers the hours OK, but cannot always be read, because the display is "off". Usually, cycling the engine power switch will bring the display back to life, but even that is not working as well now.

I'm guessing the contacts have become oxidized / contaminated, but haven't figured out how to clean them. Any ideas?

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Same Problem

Ken,
I have the same problem on my 2005 Bavaria 36, same engine as yours. My hour meter displays intermittently, but seems to be correct when it does. I am going to add an analog meter to better keep track. My tac has now started to work intermittently as well. If that fails, I will operate by sound and boat speed. I have enough experience now to ensure that I don't over rev the engine.

Good luck,
Tom:)

Feb 5, 2006
- - Wollongong Australia
My engine is the same as yours and I am having the same problem with intermittent display of the engine hours. I have wiggled and tightened up any potentially loose wires but the problem persists. The hours seem to be recording correctly but only displaying intermittently. I would love to know what the problem is. It seems that it might be fairly common.
Bill

O

Odysseus

Hours display

My engine is the same as yours and I am having the same problem with intermittent display of the engine hours. I have wiggled and tightened up any potentially loose wires but the problem persists. The hours seem to be recording correctly but only displaying intermittently. I would love to know what the problem is. It seems that it might be fairly common.
Bill
I understand that the issue is moisture, you can rid this by putting in a heater around 50c and let it sit there a time, but clearly the fault is using that clock in the position out side.

Bill C

May 22, 2009
2003 Bavaria 36 Victoria BC
My boat has the Volvo MD-2030D diesel, and the standard control panel with a combo tach / engine-hour meter. The hour meter is intermittent - it registers the hours OK, but cannot always be read, because the display is "off". Usually, cycling the engine power switch will bring the display back to life, but even that is not working as well now.

I'm guessing the contacts have become oxidized / contaminated, but haven't figured out how to clean them. Any ideas?

I had the same problem a couple of years ago on the same year (2003) and engine. Apparently, it is not an uncommon failure and the most reliable solution is to install a Hobbs meter and take your engine time off that. I don't think the units can be repaired and replacement is quite expensive without any guarantee that the same problem won't reoccur.

W

watson.bill

Engine Hour Gauge

I understand that the issue is moisture, you can rid this by putting in a heater around 50c and let it sit there a time, but clearly the fault is using that clock in the position out side.

Bill C
I have had a happy outcome with my engine hour meter (which finished up not displayiing at all). I got it repaired by an instrument repair technician for $180 (Aus) which is considerably better than replacing the whole Tacho/engine hour assembly with a Volvo part for over $600 (Aus). I am aware of the same problem occurring with engine controls located in the cabin and out of the weather. Even when the hourmeter was not displaying, it was still logging up the hours correctly. The correct hours now show on my new Liquid Crystal display.
Bill
Wollongong
Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.