Engine Ground

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
I see in the wiring schematic where the engine is grounded but cannot physically find it, anyone know where it is?

Thanks,
Mark

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I personally dont know exactly where the factory connected it, but usually the ground wire from the battery will either go directly to a starter bolt, or sometimes it may be connected to a motor mount bracket close to the engine block.

I have even seen the ground wire connected the the alternator mounting bracket on some engines...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Most times Catalina connected the engine ground to the port side of the bell housing for M25 series engines (M25, M25XP and your M25XPB - a completely different engine than the first two).

What you are looking for is a black wire, usually OEM #4 ga.

Other C310 owners may have more input.

Happy hunting.

Apr 17, 2013
Thanks I'll take a look in the morning. Keeping our eye on Tropical Storm Erika we are in Florida. I am installing a Pronautic 40 amp battery charger and saw I believe it was your post that you attached the case ground to the engine. I guess since the engine is grounded wherever you attached to the engine wouldn't matter. I was just wondering if there was a ground bolt on the engine that is normally used for this purpose. I am new to diesel engines and knowing my background I would probably loosen a bolt that should not be used.

Apr 17, 2013
I see that in the picture what is the loose black wire in the background?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Something to consider is adding a grounding buss. Have one, 2/0 awg wire from the bus to the motor and make sure you have clean metal at the attachment. Then have a buss in the area with all of the other connections. Better than stacking a lot of lugs on 1-2 bolts.

Apr 17, 2013
Found the Ground, it is attached to the lifting eye for the engine. Spent all day
installing the new heat exchanger it is now 11 at night and I have finally burped out the air from the system and the engine runs within temperature very happy. We will be in the Bahamas in 2016 Abacos and who knows wherever, maybe we will see you.
Thanks for the advice,
Mark & Joy
S/V Sweet Pea