Engine Cover Removal 40.5?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Have any of you had success in removing the FRP cover from the top of the engine compartment. It was a long time ago since I tried. I removed the ladder, and all the screws, but it didn't budge. Some day that has to come off :yikes:
IMG_20200610_132235830[1].jpg

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hunter Legend 40.5 Victoria
I am sure you checked behind the wall panel in the head. Does your stateroom mirror covers potential screws into the back of the engine cover? I was looking to improve fixing of this cover (to stop the squeaking when rolling) and my mirror extends below the potential fixing screws. I didn’t feel like knocking the bungs out. Good luck.
I wonder if Rich has gone through it.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I am sure you checked behind the wall panel in the head. Does your stateroom mirror covers potential screws into the back of the engine cover? I was looking to improve fixing of this cover (to stop the squeaking when rolling) and my mirror extends below the potential fixing screws. I didn’t feel like knocking the bungs out. Good luck.
I wonder if Rich has gone through it.
No, I didn't think about behind the mirror. I agree with you that I wouldn't want to remove it just to check..
:rolleyes:

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have the same 40.5 model. Nine months after we took delivery from our dealer as brand new, I was unhappy with the smoking of the Volvo engine. Long story short, there were many other owners of various branded sailboats with the same engine that were also unhappy. Volvo agreed to replace the entire engine under warrantee.
After the swap was done I asked the yard guys that did the work how they removed the engine cover to get the engine out. They told me that they didn't remove it but slid the engine forward and hoisted out.
So I have no clue how it comes out.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have had the aft stateroom mirror off - now I can't remember why I did it. I also don't have pictures with it off and I don't recall if there were screws into the top engine compartment enclosure. Sorry, apparently I am useless.......

But I would like to know how to take it off because at some point I should do a valve clearance adjustment myself.