Engine Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBH

Nov 15, 2020
Cal 27-3 Port Stanley
I just bought a 1985 CAL3-27 and I'm trying to figure out where you find the throttle and forward/reverse gear shift in the cockpit. Its wheel steering but I don't see the4m on the pedestal nor do I see them on either side of the cockpit. Help !!!!!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome WBH to the forum. Cal boats are nice.
Give us some pictures of your cockpit. There is no telling what a previous owner might have done to modify (improve) his boat - now your boat.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
This a photo from a listing on Yachtworld...

Shows throttle and transmission lever on the pedestal...throttle on the right side (red handle), transmission shifter on the left...

Does this look like your helm?

large photo Photo 11

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
yes not the handles but yes it looks like a Yacht Specialties binnacle

WBH

Nov 15, 2020
Cal 27-3 Port Stanley
Some photos of your cockpit setup would go a long way for us to help you.
Yes agreed , unfortunately I don't currently have any or I would have posted them and the boat is on the hard two hours away ! I'll get some this weekend when I go check on her

WBH

Nov 15, 2020
Cal 27-3 Port Stanley
This a photo from a listing on Yachtworld...

Shows throttle and transmission lever on the pedestal...throttle on the right side (red handle), transmission shifter on the left...

Does this look like your helm?

large photo Photo 11

Greg
That looks similar, however it's hard to tell as my pedestal has a huge disc for an auto pilot attached to it. the boat is currently tarped in and it would challenge Peter Dinklage to stand up in it ! I must admit that I never thought to look at the back side of the pedestal as I was coming up out of the cabin after I had successfully monkey crawled in there. This came as an after thought as I sat down to begin planning the 27 mile voyage through the Welland Canal that I'll be taking this spring to "bring her home".

WBH

Nov 15, 2020
Cal 27-3 Port Stanley
Yes it's seaworthy ! The first thing that I did before buying it was have it surveyed ! I will also be doing a shake down after it goes in the water. This isn't my first rodeo so don't imply that I'm an ignoramus ! This is my first sailboat, but I've been on boats all my life being a maritimer ! If you don't wish to be helpful stop wasting my time and yours!

• Wow
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yes it's seaworthy ! The first thing that I did before buying it was have it surveyed ! I will also be doing a shake down after it goes in the water. This isn't my first rodeo so don't imply that I'm an ignoramus ! This is my first sailboat, but I've been on boats all my life being a maritimer ! If you don't wish to be helpful stop wasting my time and yours!
We're just going on the information you're giving us pal.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Geesh. You have 6 posts. I have over 7000. Who's the troll?
Even the "Does it have an engine? " has some validity with the information you (did not) share. These came with an outboard on some years. This is a community, not just a Q&A platform. Work on your communication skills before you have you next tantrum.
Time to hit the 'ignore thread' button.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Time to hit the "ignore poster" button. Because after all: a) everybody knows a survey guarantees seaworthiness, especially one done on the hard, and b) once you're a "maritimer" you know that the engine controls are at the other end of the cables from the engine and transmission.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Boys (or should I say “sailors”...not sure what is PC), it is almost Thanksgiving...let’s be thankful for what we have (boating is really a first world problem) and be civil with one another.

i am sure everyone wants to help....

buy each other a :beer:, shake hands and be nice :)

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.