Engine Control

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 419 Milwaukee
Hi friends. I have Morse control engine on my 1980 Cat 27: one shifter for speed and one for gear.
I am not a fan of switching gear just by pulling or pushing the lever. Of course I lower the rpm and I try to take a brief pause at the “neutral” position but still, it makes a clunky sound.
Also when I dock and need smooth maneuvers, I can’t get to neutral w/o having to change gear And come back to neutral.
ANother way to explain is that if I want to go from Forward to Neutral, I can’t just move the level to neutral. The gear is still engaged. I have to bring to « neutral » and then move a little to reverse and back Netutral, like to force disengaging the gear….

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Sounds like a simple adjustment of the control cable should fix your shifting problem.

To confirm it’s the cable causing the problem, disengage it and manually move shift lever at the engine to confirm smooth operation.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I've been on a boat with exactly the arrangement you show. Never gave shifting a thought because everything was well lubricated and moved with the flick of the wrist. Your hand moved faster than the time it took for the engine to slow due to momentum. I'd say time for some maintenance. Pull up the specs on the assembly and see what the mfg. recommends.

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Sounds like a simple adjustment of the control cable should fix your shifting problem.

To confirm it’s the cable causing the problem, disengage it and manually move shift lever at the engine to confirm smooth operation.
I’ll try. Thx A lot!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Look into single lever, dual function control also. Fool proof once set up properly. Clunk you hear could be too fast idle.

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
Look into single lever, dual function control also. Fool proof once set up properly. Clunk you hear could be too fast idle.
I would love to switch to single lever.... Not sure what to get....
and thx for the tip

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
when I dock and need smooth maneuvers, I can’t get to neutral w/o having to change gear
Smooth maneuvering comes from lots of practice, coming in slowly with enough maneuvering speed in neutral to ghost into your slip. Ready to go from neutral to reverse or forward when needed. You have to let the engine come to idle.

It is wise to check the linkage on your boat. The boat is from the 80's and often former owners do little to maintain the gear shift linkage until there is a serious problem. This is likely a 2 person operation. You down near the transmission looking at the gear shifter and making adjustments while the helper is at the helm moving the gear shift lever.

Then there is Captain Ron's technique. He is driving someone else's boat so takes a few liberties...

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
You have to let the engine come to idle.
it is not easy with the lever because if you pull it back too much then it dies, which you don't want.

It is wise to check the linkage on your boat. This is likely a 2 person operation. You down near the transmission looking at the gear shifter and making adjustments while the helper is at the helm moving the gear shift lever.
great idea

Then there is Captain Ron's technique. He is driving someone else's boat so takes a few liberties...
ahahahaha

xavpil

Sep 6, 2022
interesting discovery while looking for the single lever. CatalinaDirect has the perfect replacement except it doesn't work with my 5411 engine.

"This control will not work with the model 5411 engine. Unlike other engines that have a separate cable to facilitate engine shut-off, the 5411 requires the throttle lever be held farther aft than idle against a spring detent to kill the engine. Since a single lever control increases engine speed if moved either forward or aft from the neutral position, there is no way to kill the engine. You must use the #Z2595 control to facilitate engine stop by by use of the throttle."

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had a Morse single lever control on my Hunter 280. I didn’t really care for it.

My current boat, an O’Day 322, has separate throttle and shifter control…which I like better because I feel I have more control….

Greg