Engine compartment fire extinguisher

Jul 6, 2017
Hunter H 41DS Hampton, VA
Does anyone have a recommendation for an automatic fire extinguisher for the engine compartment for an H41?

The PO on my boat had removed it.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It's a good idea, regardless of what brand you get. I have a Fireboy system, and I recommend them only because I've heard such good things about their customer support.

Fireboy-Xintex

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
+1 on Fireboy. I have two of them - one in my aux compartment and one in my generator compartment. I had an original one leak after 3 years and the warrantee was less than that. But they replaced it at no cost to me and picked up shipping both ways. I would buy their product again. BTW, the other original and the replacement are now 18 and 21 years old with no problems.

Jul 22, 2020
Hunter Legend 37.5 37.5 New Braunfels
On my Hunter Legend 37.5, there is no fuel gauge topside on the engine panel in the cockpit...only the RPM gauge. On my Catalina, there were were 4 gauges....temp, fuel, voltage and RPM.

Does Hunter put a fuel gauge on the fuel tank down below? I have yet to look at mine.

Jul 6, 2017
On my Hunter Legend 37.5, there is no fuel gauge topside on the engine panel in the cockpit...only the RPM gauge. On my Catalina, there were were 4 gauges....temp, fuel, voltage and RPM.

Does Hunter put a fuel gauge on the fuel tank down below? I have yet to look at mine.
It depends.

It depends:
My H36 had a fuel gauge as part of the tank monitoring system in the salon.
My H41 has a fuel gauge on the Yanmar panel in the cockpit.

Jul 22, 2020
Tim,

….a fuel gauge in the salon...? I wonder if that was installed later, because I have seen them at the Nav/Com station.

Oh well.....this weekend, I am going to remove the panel in the after cabin to gain access to the tank and and inspect the tank myself and see what's what. Thanks for your help.

Jul 6, 2017
DSCN1352.JPG

H36 - The tank monitoring system says "Hunter Marine" above the AC panel. it reads water, fuel and black tank levels.

Jul 22, 2020
Tim

Oh...very nice....that is cool! I don't have that on my Hunter Legend unfortunately.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
The original was probably Halon or one of the other agents you can't get anymore. The EPA has made things like this a lot more difficult, they keep changing the rules. You can't use dry chemical, blowing that on a running engine might do more damaged than the fire. CO2 is probably your best bet, and they can be had with automatic nozzles.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The original was probably Halon or one of the other agents you can't get anymore. The EPA has made things like this a lot more difficult, they keep changing the rules. You can't use dry chemical, blowing that on a running engine might do more damaged than the fire. CO2 is probably your best bet, and they can be had with automatic nozzles.
The replacement for Halon is HFC-227, "1,1,1,2,3,3,3-Heptafluoropropane." This is what Fireboy is using now.

"The HFC-227ea fire suppression agent was the first non-ozone-depleting replacement for Halon 1301.[citation needed] In addition, HFC-227ea leaves no residue on valuable equipment after discharge.[2]"

1,1,1,2,3,3,3-Heptafluoropropane - Wikipedia