Engine compartment blower re design what do you have in your boat

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Completely refitting a new blower and aeroduct 3inch flexible ducting. Have a perkins 4.108
Does you boat have a blower escaping air out of the engine compartment,do you also have one the blows air into the compartment
Does your blower come on as you turn the key and stay on. Do you have a thermostat?
Trying to do the best install while i have everything out

Thanks

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I trust you had a previous model and are now scrapping it ? I'm curious what the blower was.

The only way you want to move air is to pull it OUT of the engine compartment. Blowing air in may give you the smell of diesel fuel and possible CO. Here, the engine is shown kept in its Nike shoe box with an inch or two clearance around the engine.

1683941238825.jpeg

I wired mine so that the oil pressure alarm switch activates a N/O relay to turn on the blower. Eliminates any additional load on engine when starting. The blower also shuts down by the loss of oil pressure. I didn't like the idea of walking away from the boat and hoping an OFF delay timer would shut down the fan after 20 - 30 minutes. If your at anchor and it didn't shut down while you're gone for the day, could be bye bye battery. I didn't bother with a thermostat either. Simpler is safer. I also used a DC/DC regulator to keep the fan from flying apart when the charging voltage hit 14.7V.

I switched from a Yellow Tail Blower to a Detmar blower after about 10 minutes of running. The Yellow Tail blower was so noisy I cut the wires to it after only 10 minutes into an all day outing. The Detmar was quieter but still noisy for another reason :

1683938906881.jpeg

I had gone cheap and used aluminum dryer vent for the exhaust. It screamed like a banshee. A little more investigation and I installed :

1683939043767.jpeg

1683940175449.png

Trident Polypropylene Blower Hose. Much quieter and it's stayed that way since 2012. The hose inside the engine compartment is still aluminum for temperature resistance.

1683940418354.jpeg

1683941007922.jpeg

1683939864334.jpeg

A little pricy even back then but well worth it.

1683941082709.png

Heating the Great Outdoors.​

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Completely refitting a new blower and aeroduct 3inch flexible ducting. Have a perkins 4.108
Does you boat have a blower escaping air out of the engine compartment,do you also have one the blows air into the compartment
Does your blower come on as you turn the key and stay on. Do you have a thermostat?
Trying to do the best install while i have everything out

Thanks
Directing cool air over the alternator will make the alternator happy, extend its life, and improve efficiency.

Saw this article on this very subject. You might find it helpful.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Ralph
Thanks for a great reply!!
No blower example on this boat so am creating a new system

You idea for duct placement looks the same as i want to do
Cheers
Gary

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Directing cool air over the alternator will make the alternator happy, extend its life, and improve efficiency.

Saw this article on this very subject. You might find it helpful.

I did this with my bilge blower with the intake coming directly from the front of the alternator. It gave me a 50º drop in the alternator case temperature. I have a fully sound insulated engine compartment so without the fan, it gets very hot in the engine space and the 560Ah LFP bank makes the alternator work hard for a long time. I plan to rewire the power to the blower so that it comes on anytime the engine key is on and can also be turned on with a manual switch to provide post motoring cooling so that all of that heat doesn't just soak into the boat in summer.

Last edited:

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I have a blower for my diesel powered engine that pushes air out. It is on its own switch. I ran tests and found it makes no difference in engine compartment temps so I don't use it.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have a blower for my diesel powered engine that pushes air out. It is on its own switch. I ran tests and found it makes no difference in engine compartment temps so I don't use it.
That will probably depend on how confined and insulated your engine space is. On my C30 the space is small and fully sound insulated with 1" foil backed foam. At to that I high output alternator and it get very hot inside. I never had problems until I added the sound insulation and a large bank of LFP batteries that keeps the alternator running hard for hours.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
If you are drawing air from the top of your engine compartment and cooler air is entering from the bottom i suppose it could only drop the temps

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If you are drawing air from the top of your engine compartment and cooler air is entering from the bottom i suppose it could only drop the temps
That's what I used to think but not quite right. It's like a hurricane in there with the alternator fan blowing and the V belts whipping around. Still, it's better than the minor 29 CFM the engine pulls in for combustion air.