Engine Bilge Blower Hunter 42 Passage

Oct 14, 2021
Hunter 42 Passage Riviera Beach
Does anyone have a picture of where the engine bilge blower on the Hunter 42 Passage is suppose to vent into? The blower on in the bottom compartment of the cabinet aft of the nav station on the port side.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our boat has a vent register just below the upper transom step port side. A four inch duct connects that register to the blower. We've never had a need to use the blower because of our cooler climate.

Oct 14, 2021
Our boat has a vent register just below the upper transom step port side. A four inch duct connects that register to the blower. We've never had a need to use the blower because of our cooler climate.
Terry… you have solved two mysteries in one thread. We bought a ‘96 Hunter 42P last Feb in Rio Dulce. We have been restoring it for the past 8 months. The 4” duct is cut off inside the wall to left of blower. The register had been removed and a piece of heavy black rubber was glued over the register opening!!! Next project! . Marty & Annie

Dec 25, 2000
Marty & Annie
We purchased our 1991 model in 2002. No regrets. Wonderful boat and easy to solo sail. What degree of restoration are you doing? We've kept ours in its original pristine condition.

Oct 14, 2021
We purchased our 1991 model in 2002. No regrets. Wonderful boat and easy to solo sail. What degree of restoration are you doing? We've kept ours in its original pristine condition.
We have replaced most of the hose, clamps, glasses both water tanks (leaks), had fiberglass waste tank built in Rio Dulce, numerous 12v connections on lights, new 1000w windlass, running lights, tore seized engine down to block, to check rods and pistons. Replaced oil cooler core, idler gear bushing and bolts, installed Raymarine Evolution autopilot and all new canvas
Sailed to aft Lauderdale last July and replaced both AC units, new SeaWater Pro water maker, complete rebuild of Edson steering cables/conduit with throttle and shifter assembly, having new headstay and furler installed above deck, added Rocna 25 anchor, ordered new mast track to install, just ordered new 4” duct and louvered cover to fix engine bilge exhaust (Thank You!!!), redoing LPG solenoid, and adding new Balmar XT 170A alternator/Max Power Regulator with 600ah LifePo4 battery bank, Renogy Charger/inverter 3000w PSW with Renogy 60A DC to DC Charge Controller, 2- Renogy 30A MPPT Solar Controllers for 2-245 Kyocera Solar panels. Need to fix the Air Breeze wind generator and add controller as well. Have an RM i70s i need to install!
Added several galley conveniences like portable induction cooktop, microwave, ice maker, etc. hoping to sail East thru Bahamas in Nov and enjoy!! Marty

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
We've never had a need to use the blower because of our cooler climate.
I use mine to clear fumes trapped and pull some of the heat out after I get back to the slip. Never used it to provide cooler air to the engine. Just had a thought if I reverse the wires (or switch) I can pull cool air from outside while motoring. anyone done that?

Oct 14, 2021
I use mine to clear fumes trapped and pull some of the heat out after I get back to the slip. Never used it to provide cooler air to the engine. Just had a thought if I reverse the wires (or switch) I can pull cool air from outside while motoring. anyone done that?
We came up from Guatemala. Had a heat problem. Old charge controller was getting too hot! The blower duct tube had been cut to exhaust into the wall between the blower and aft cabin. Hot and smelly. If you reverse it, need someplace for it to exhaust. The starboard side aft section of engine compartment opens under the sole of the head and shower to access the plumbing.

Dec 25, 2000
Sheesh, Marty. A serious rebuild top to bottom. I've done a few things to our boat, but nothing close to yours. Both original heat pumps still do their thing, but seldom get used. Never during the summer, however a few times during the winter. Edson steering system still solid. Very low hours on both engines; main and Genset.