Engine Angle

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
When I installed the new diesel in my H37C, the installation manual made it clear that the slope of the engine must not exceed 17 degrees (fore and aft). I suppose this has something to do with oil pickup. Seems to me that after alignment, the motor is pretty slanted. Haven't tried to get a slope measurement yet and not quite sure how to do so. I can always swap out the transmission for one with a 7 degree offset but obviously don't want the work and expense. Has anyone else come across this issue? Do any other owners know the slope of the engine beds on the 37C?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Also did the change Bill and never considered the angle. Reason being that it aligned exactly like the old 2QM20. I did extensive measuring to get the modified mounts as close to original as possible. When I sat the engine down on the mounts you had to use a feeler gauge to see the difference. Now you have me wondering if I should measure. Not sure I know how, I suppose using a level for the base line. The picture is just after I sat the new engine on the new mounts.

Attachments

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I remember that, Ed. All your calculating paid off big time. One of the reasons I picked the Nanni was because it would fit on the original stringers and should have the same angle as the 3QM30 as it had to align to the shaft anyway. But the angle still looks really steep.

Jun 2, 2004
Interesting. Cannot see how because your shaft angle certainly didn't change. Is the crankshaft not in line with tranny and then the shaft? If yes then has to be the same as the old engine. Maybe something else like the heat exchanger is not parallel to the crank. This could give the appearance of too much angle maybe.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I don't know the angle of the H37C engine beds (and would have to wait 'til I'm back in the water to check it) but Ed is right - it is predetermined by the prop shaft and log. If you google the Yanmar 3QM30 there is an installation drawing somewhere on the web. As long as the the max tilt angle for the Nanni is not signficantly less (+/- a couple of degrees), you should be OK. It is indeed all about oil pickup. Some purpose-built diesels (as opposed to "marinized" diesels) have bigger sumps and oil pickup tubes that allow them to operate at more of a tilt. I would guess that the more oil your engine takes, the safer you would be too. The Yanmar 3QM30 takes about 6-7 litres, if memory serves.

Jun 2, 2004
Good point Jim. Our old QM's were indeed around 7 liters. And our new YM's only 2.5. So the sump angle does, in fact, take on more significance. But I am not sure how. The pickup will be at the back so more angle would seem to be better than less angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.