Engine and H20 heater question

JPS27

Sep 9, 2016
Ericson 27 Hampton
I have a new to me Pearson 36-2. A relatively big step up from my Ericson 27, so I'm learning systems, instruments etc. My questions are about winterizing the engine and water heater that are connected.

I live in southern Chesapeake area. With my old Ericson I would winterize the engine (2qm15) by just running anti freeze thru it. If a nice day came up in Jan or Feb I take her out and then re-winterize.

On my Pearson I winterized the water heater by draining it and bypassing the water lines to fill them with anti freeze. I have a 30YM30AE with 100 hr on it and the raw water side is also winterized.

Would I damage the water heater (or more importantly the engine) if I took the boat out for a sail while the water heater is winterized? I'm trying to understand how the engine heats the water in the water heater. And if there's no water to heat, would it create a big problem.

Thanks. Jay

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Would I damage the water heater (or more importantly the engine) if I took the boat out for a sail while the water heater is winterized? I'm trying to understand how the engine heats the water in the water heater. And if there's no water to heat, would it create a big problem?
No and no.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If the boat is plugged in to shore power with the water heater empty and someone turns on the heating element, it will burn out. Once the water heater is empty tape the circuit breaker in the off position, so it does not get accidentally turned on.

The engine heats the WH by running a loop of coolant through a heat exchanger in the tank. Once the engine gets to operating temperature the thermostat opens and coolant flows through the heat exchanger in the tank and back to the engine before entering the engine heat exchanger.

Don't put antifreeze in the HW tank, just drain the tank. Any small amount of residual water will freeze without damaging anything.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I'm trying to understand how the engine heats the water in the water heater.
Your engine coolant flows through the engine. A hose from the engine to the water heater (WH) moves the coolant to the WH, through it and then back to the engine Heat Exchanger (HE). At the HE cool raw water shows up. Cool water enters HE and flows over outside the tubes in the HE. The still hot coolant from the WH flows through the tubes transferring heat to the raw water. Raw water flows into the exhaust, while the coolant is retuned to the coolant reservoir to start the process again.

JPS27

Sep 9, 2016
Ericson 27 Hampton
Thank you. Got it. I appreciate the help. And I will tape over the WH switch at the panel while the WH is empty.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes it could happen. But not likely when the PO is running an engine driven water heater system.

Propane explosions concern me. But even those have proven difficult to start. See this video of a test explosion by experts at Yachting Monthly

Jan 11, 2014
The HW tank will not explode if the electric elements are turned on while the tank is empty. The element will heat up and the hottest part will melt breaking the circuit.

The greatest danger from an engine heated HW tank is scalding because the water will be at the operating temperature of the engine, typically somewhere between 160°and 180°F. If the engine overheats and the pressure relief valve on the tank fails to open, the tank could rupture. That has the potential to damage the boat. When the overheat alarm goes off, shut the engine down.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you have bypassed the water heater “coolant” lines, then all you did was make the coolant loop shorter. Should be no ill effects on the water heater or the engine.

As others have said, don’t turn on the breaker to the WH…you will surely burn out the element.

But you should be able to sail, and the run more AF through the engine to winterize the engine.

I am jealous…I stopped by my marina today to do a wellness check before I leave for Maui for 4 weeks…

The Lake Michigan was smoking! Water is ~32 F and is warm compared to the air temp.

And ice is forming in the harbor.

IMG_1936.jpeg

IMG_1935.jpeg

Damn cold…-5F currently… -30F windchill.

brrrrrr

Greg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Water is ~32 F and is warm compared to the air temp.
When the water is the warmest thing around at 32° F, it's time to look for new digs. We're in the middle of an Arctic blast and seeing 14° F and people are dying in the streets (or damn close to it). I'll be glad when we return to our norm of 45° F during the coming week. Got to get to work on my daffodils.

Jan 11, 2014
When the water is the warmest thing around at 32° F, it's time to look for new digs. We're in the middle of an Arctic blast and seeing 14° F and people are dying in the streets (or damn close to it). I'll be glad when we return to our norm of 45° F during the coming week. Got to get to work on my daffodils.
At least the water is liquid. :biggrin: It's a balmy 15° F under sunny skies here and the wind stopped blowing.