Engine Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2007
Catalina 36 Lexington Mi
I have done a search on this and came up with a few posts but none that really answered my question.

I have a 1988 Catalina 36 with the 25xp engine in it. I understand the the alignment process as far as how to make sure it is in spec. What I am unsure about is how those adjusters on the engine work. I could figure it out on my own I am sure but I could break something also. So I bow to the vast knowledge of the forums guru and ask "just how do those adjusters work?"

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
These adjustments are made by adjusting the engine mounts.

Nov 5, 2008
Catalina 30 Quebec City
William,

Definietively a 2-person job.

Did it with my brother-in-law last year, great results but requires loads of patience.

I had found instructions in the archives of this forum. I do have a copy on board the boat somewhere and I am going tonight. Will bring what I find back and scan it.

Also if you still have a copy of your owner's manual for your engine, there's also instructions in there. Boat must be in water with rig up as it would be its normal operating condition.

In short, you disconnect your coupler then bring it back against the transmission coupler and measure at 4 locations (top bottom, left and right) with a filler gauge. This will indicate to you what spacing you have a different points and thus which way the adjustment must be made.

The fun begins now as the adjustment is a question of rising and lowering the front and back of engine, with the adjustment nuts on your engine mounts if the upper gap is more or less than the bottom gap. Then sideway adjustment is done by loosening the engine mounts nuts holding it onto the hull.

The issue is that you move one way, something else moves also so you just keep on checking you gaps around the couplers as you make the adjustments until you get it right all around. Patience!!!!

What I find on board tonight I'll post.

Meanwhile if one of great forum member as it, they will surely post it.

Best of luck.

Ghislain
Emilie-Jolie
C30TRBS 4708

Jun 7, 2007
Hunter 320 Williamsburg
This is one for the engine mechanic.
He'll stick a luminous tag on the fan belt wheel and watch with a laser.
By adjusting the mounts, he can align the tag perfectly.
He'll do it in one-tenth the time you can.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If it's in the owner's manual, the C36 Association website would have the manual. You could also ask on their MB. The engine mounts are simple: a threaded rod with nuts above and below: turn the nuts, the engine moves.

Mar 3, 2007
Catalina 36 Lexington Mi
Thanks guys. I had only glanced at the mounts before and what I thought was down there really wasn't. I had a buddy help me and we got it dailed in. Simple but tedeous!
Seems a lot smoother now but I will take it out for a motor ride this weekend and see for sure. Adjusted the old PSS shaft seal while I was in there. I think I will be updating that over the winter. Thanks again for the Help

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Adjusted the old PSS shaft seal while I was in there. I think I will be updating that over the winter. Thanks again for the Help
If by adjusted you mean loosened the set screws on the stainless rotor, then slid it back slightly and re-tightened the set screws, you will want to call PYI and order a set of four replacements set screws. These set screws are a one time use screw only and the tips get dull and don't bite the shaft as well the second time around.. They can be changed easily, one hole at a time, without disturbing the position of the rotor. There should be two screws in each hole for a total of four. The one on top acts as a locking screw for the bottom one.

Mar 3, 2007
Catalina 36 Lexington Mi
Maine Sail,
That is what I thought I was going to have to do, but, this is an old unit and it didn't have any set screws. The Stainless parts was held in place with a large rubber tube that in turn was held in place by four plastic squeeze clamps. I don't like this setup and that is why I plan to change it over the winter. The boat is a 1988 so I would think the shaft seal is about that old also. There was nothing in the documentation for the boat about it so I am guessing on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.