Engine alignment issue?

Oct 29, 2013
Hunter 31 Lake Diefenbaker
I was out at the boat today picking up a couple things and taking some measurements for a solar arch of sorts and thought I would have a look at the cutlass bearing for any play. I noticed the shaft is to one side as it exits the boat. I am curios as to people’s thoughts on the best way to correct this.

Is it an engine alignment issue, a bent strut?

Would appreciate any feedback on how to proceed with correcting this. I expect if I start with engine mounts and the gear box, I will need to disconnect the shaft and realign everything from the gearbox flywheel thing to the strut.

Thanks in advance!

Shawne
3F09522C-74FC-4A81-A08E-F33F6BA706E5.jpeg
FDB94683-6857-4B5E-AA4C-0EB9F8C286B6.jpeg
0E4B28E9-75EF-4DDC-8004-EADEF4D6C81C.jpeg

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Any chance the shaft is bent? Did you give it a spin to see if there is a bow?

Oct 29, 2013
Any chance the shaft is bent? Did you give it a spin to see if there is a bow?
Ya, I did. I couldn’t see one but I am thinking maybe I need to pull the shaft to check it for a bend.

I was checking if there was any play in the cutlass bearing, which there didn’t seem to be when I noticed where it exits though the shaft log.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Likely a result of how the boat has been placed on the jack stands. Hulls flex and hulls on stands flex more.
If there is no scoring on the shaft where it enters the boat, it's a non-issue. The only way to reliably confirm alignment is with the boat in the water. Check for alignment once the boat is back in to verify.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Once back in the water, disconnect the coupling at the transmission and push the shaft aft about a quarter of an inch. Then take the coupling in your hand and move it up, down, left and right as far as it will go.. then, center it as best you can and see if the engine is anywhere near lined up with it.. You can usually measure the up/down from a fixed point as well as the port/stbd from a fixed point. a couple of blocks under the coupling can then hold it in place while the engine is moved to center. The shaft should be pretty close to center of the tube so that it does not rub/hit the tube when the engine moves around on the rubber mounts. Hire a mechanic if you aren't comfortable getting that correct..

Oct 29, 2013
Ok, So trying to correct it while on the cradle is not recommended then?

I did order a new shaft log just in case.

So to be clear, the recommendation is to check it in the water and then disconnect the shaft from the gearbox and check for alignment?

Thanks for the feedback!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Ok, So trying to correct it while on the cradle is not recommended then?

I did order a new shaft log just in case.

So to be clear, the recommendation is to check it in the water and then disconnect the shaft from the gearbox and check for alignment?

Thanks for the feedback!
Correct. But wait a week after it goes back in before adjusting anything. Give it time to “re-adjust”

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Shaft is normally offset so it can be removed without dropping the rudder
Not on a Cherubini Hunter.

Turn the prop by had. If the end of the shaft runs true it is likely an issue of on shore storage. Align in the water with the rigging set up and tensioned.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I would not worry too much while it is on the hard....but you may want to remove the stuffing box and see how the shaft is centered in the stern tube where it comes into the boat.

when I replaced the shaft on mine (different boat), I aligned things as best I could on the hard, including centering it where it came through the stern tube, and checked to see how the coupling lined up with the transmission output flange. Then, once the boat was in the water, do a final adjustment.

Greg