Engine access

rhwins

Dec 8, 2007
Hunter 28.5 Long Beach, CA
Has anyone got experience adding an access panel to the Starboard side of the engine through from the head? Any suggestions for where and how large?

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Has anyone got experience adding an access panel to the Starboard side of the engine through from the head? Any suggestions for where and how large?
No but.... I have been pondering it since the day I bought her.
I think it needs to be large enough to work. 24x24?
It would need to be located in a manner to gain access to the motor mounts.
thx for bring this up and letting think out loud.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
No but.... I have been pondering it since the day I bought her.
I think it needs to be large enough to work. 24x24?
It would need to be located in a manner to gain access to the motor mounts.
thx for bring this up and letting think out loud.
I thought the 280 had the big fiberglass housing over the engine…remove it and you have 360 degree access to the little 2GM20F. At least my 1996 H280 was that way.

8BA0DECC-9F16-419E-82AC-681F46B3DAA8.png

I imagine the older 28.5 has a more traditional engine compartment…am I wrong?

On my current boat (O’Day 322) I have good engine access from top, front and STB side, but no access on the port side. I ended up cutting a hole in the wall of my head, about 12x16 inches. I drilled holes from the inside to mark where I wanted access, and the cut the lines connecting the dots with a circ saw from the outside.

Greg

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Greg, you are correct there is room once you remove the engine cover. On the other hand The older and fatter and maybe a little lazy, I take a good long look at working smarter not harder.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Greg, you are correct there is room once you remove the engine cover. On the other hand The older and fatter and maybe a little lazy, I take a good long look at working smarter not harder.
I found manhandling that cover to be a challenge (if you wanted to take it off the little hinges). And even harder to get on the hinges. But access was OK IIRC once the cover was off and out of the way. Maybe a little tight on the head side As I look at the photo I posted.

Greg

rhwins

Dec 8, 2007
Hunter 28.5 Long Beach, CA
On my 28.5 there is barely room to insert a cell phone to take a photo of the fuel pump and final filter from the access behind the companion stairs. I think I can cut a large enough access from the head with a zip saw. I plan to make a frame around the cut-out piece to "finish off" the seams on the head side and a second layer behind the bottom to make a grove/slot so I can reinstall it accurately enough to reuse the same screw holes every time. Size of the access is controlled by me not wanting to remove the toilet to make the cut along the bottom.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Good idea. The next time I have to work on the starboard side of my engine I will follow your lead and install an access panel. Rotozip is the right tool to use for the cut. The factory should have done this in the beginning. My dip stick is in there and can only be felt but never seen. Takes two hands to check oil with one to locate the port while the other lowers the stick. You get burned if you try it on a hot engine. Maybe you can find an access panel frame and cover that will work.

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I have a hunter 1978 28.5 and I had to work on the cooling system a few years ago. I ended up removing the screws that held the piece of plywood at the back of the engine, and had to take a small hand saw and cut out some of the wood to release it from the lower left corner. This allowed me to remove the back panel and have full access to the engine.

Sir Michael

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
There are many access panels for buildings available that may work in your application. Search Amazon for plastic access panels. They are available in various sizes from multiple vendors.