End of the Season

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
2020hauledout.jpg

And that's the end of the 2020 season. We didn't race at all this year due to my underlying conditions and Seeker being a small boat. We sailed about 2-3 times a month, which, is not enough of course. But, I did get a ton of things done;
New 12v DC Electrical Panel. Including battery area upgrades and better wiring.
Shore power and charging.
The head now has a pump-out connection.
New winches for the Genoa sheets.
Instrumentation, wind, depth, and speed.
A new main halyard that shouldn't slip in the clutch.
New spinnaker sheets with de-covered ends and soft shackles.
The keel and rudder work I did in the spring looks pretty good still. The bottom does need a full re-paint though. Next spring fun!!
Sheaves in the boom replaced.
New line for the Boom Vang was run.
Some small things with Dyneema lines.

Seeker is in heated storage for the winter, only 6 months to go....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
We hauled out last Saturday. The weather is still gorgeous but the lake (reservoir) is going down due to lack of rain so access to the crane is getting iffy.
We are losing a member to you folks on Minnetonka. He has to relocate for his job. Eric Carman, Catalina 28

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So this was the season of BLING... I know the story. I am living it.
Being put to bed in a warm pleasant environ sounds like a great way to pass the dark winter.

May spring arrive before we expect it and the sails can again be unfurled. 6 months to give you body time to heal.

Jun 29, 2010
We hauled out last Saturday. The weather is still gorgeous but the lake (reservoir) is going down due to lack of rain so access to the crane is getting iffy.
We are losing a member to you folks on Minnetonka. He has to relocate for his job. Eric Carman, Catalina 28
Here as well in regards to the weather, well this week anyway. Was 73 degrees and about 6-8 kts of wind yesterday. But, next week is back to reality in the northern climes. Mid to thirties starting next week and our crane doesn't like temps under 40. Grease thickens too much and doesn't move well. That's shut off on the 8th. Miss those Thanksgiving weekend sails though..... Where is he going to have his boat on Minnetonka?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Where is he going to have his boat on Minnetonka?
I'm not sure. I may not see him again before they leave. He was prepping his for the haul up north. Last time I saw him he said used to live there for several years and knows the area. It's quite a bit more expensive to keep a boat on the water there as opposed to here on Cheney.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I thought perhaps you had a monster truck as a tow vehicle ;)

I‘m looking at some new to me boats and a 235 is a contender, - no trailer with it though.

Have you ever launched or retrieved with yours?

Jun 29, 2010

I‘m looking at some new to me boats and a 235 is a contender, - no trailer with it though.

We had to launch retrieve it in Florida when I bought it and also helped a fellow 235 owner at my club a while back. It can be done, the trailer needs to be set up for it. The one I have is not the best, not a great 235 trailer as the bunks like to loosen over time and then you are re-adjusting every haul out. If you have done it before with a boat and your trailer is set up for it, its not too big of a deal.

• Helpful
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI

I used to ramp launch and retrieve mine all the time. Not hard, but a good ramp and a good trailer help a good process. A keel box helps position the boat on the trailer. For most ramps, a tongue extension will be needed to get the wheels out far enough. The keel box needs to be in 3 feet of water for the boat to clear. Plastic goal posts will help line up (in particular in murky water) but are not mandatory.

Other than that, just knowing what you are doing is all it takes.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The majority of the boats for sale that are listed on the web (the only place I’ve looked so far) have dual axle trailers. I would prefer a dual axle but wouldn’t pass on a good boat that had a single.

@cb32863 I assumed the rollers on your trailer would make aligning the boat easier. Are these the components that loosen up and need re-adgusting?

Nov 8, 2010
The majority of the boats for sale that are listed on the web (the only place I’ve looked so far) have dual axle trailers. I would prefer a dual axle but wouldn’t pass on a good boat that had a single.

@cb32863 I assumed the rollers on your trailer would make aligning the boat easier. Are these the components that loosen up and need re-adgusting?
Bunks or pads are definitely better. CB's trailer was not designed for the boat; you should never pull/roll a sailboat up into position (which he does not do naturally), it should float into place. Personally, I prefer pads, it make it easier to bottom paint. But the simple fact is that you get the trailer that comes with the boat.

Yes a dual axel is always better; but many 235s are pulled with single. I would not let that be the deciding factor,

And no. On a good trailer the pads and bunks are set and forget. You never touch then again.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
@cb32863

I didn’t intend to:hijack: so my apologies :)

That is an impressive list of upgrades and fixes. Here’s hoping you have less time for that and more sailing time in 2121!

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
As one man's season ends, another's begins. While not the warmest time of year, I've been cleaning mine up a bit to do some winter sailing here in Missouri. This is our slow season. More time for me to enjoy the water, less traffic and beautiful scenery.

Have a great winter folks! Be safe working on those projects and stay healthy!

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
As one man's season ends, another's begins. While not the warmest time of year, I've been cleaning mine up a bit to do some winter sailing here in Missouri. This is our slow season. More time for me to enjoy the water, less traffic and beautiful scenery.

Have a great winter folks! Be safe working on those projects and stay healthy!
Us too. It’s why we bailed.
E824FD76-762A-413E-A5CD-9D34E89353E5.jpeg

Jun 29, 2010

LOL No worries, its all good info. Been thinking on affording a new trailer for quite some time. From brand new, to modifying the one I have (major PITA), to finding used, which is problematic in itself.

Jun 29, 2010
@cb32863

I didn’t intend to:hijack: so my apologies :)

That is an impressive list of upgrades and fixes. Here’s hoping you have less time for that and more sailing time in 2121!
LOL No worries, its all good info. Been thinking on affording a new trailer for quite some time. From brand new, to modifying the one I have (major PITA), to finding used, which is problematic in itself.

And yes, the uprights that have the rollers are a friction connection so as they get used with weight on them, they loosen.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
@cb32863 you made a great blog about your trip north from Florida. Any thoughts about reversing that trip some winter?! ;)