End of Ownership (not a classified, just a pitty party for myself)

Dec 30, 2018
O'Day 26 Onset, MA
Well, I hate to say it but I'm going to have to sell her.

My first experience was learning to sail Beetle Cats on Cape Cod, slowly moving to Lasers and other small vessels. I had a great uncle who had a very profound impact on my life who owned a 32' ft sailboat that we would go out on a couple times a summer, and handling her was second nature for me. He saw this and even provided me with the opportunity to spend a few summers at Tabor Academy.

This will be my third and last season of owning my O'Day 26. She's been kept right by my alma mater - in Onset, MA - Massachusetts Maritime Academy, an amazing school that required me to be completely opposite of who I really am just to graduate and prove everyone wrong. I'd like to say my love and passion was passed along to my own kids, but to be honest I didn't really introduce it in the best of way. Lots of yelling as I tried to single hand a boat while being worried something would happen to the kiddos.

I've hit some hard times. Last year being laid off, you'd think I'd take the summer to sail. But honestly I just looked for a job and felt guilty any time I went out on it. I found one eventually, but it wasn't a good fit. Only 3 weeks after being talked out of walking away, I was fired. There were a lot of variables, most of them I don't think are on me but in the end it's clear: I can't afford a boat. I'll be putting her up on Craigslist and hoping to get something for her, but if I can't I'll be donating it to the Mass Maritime boat auction site.

I would like to thank this forum. It's been fun being an owner. I probably won't be coming back here since I don't think I'll be able to convince myself or my wife that I can have another boat.

Good luck folks!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Don't commit yourself to never returning to boating.

You never know what's around the corner (as unfortunately you've recently learned). That was the bad side. Thank God that's over and done with. It'll turn around at that next corner.

All the best of luck and start planning on your next boat.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
There's no reason to leave the forum just because you no longer will have a boat. You still have years of experience and knowledge to share. Whatever you decide, good luck to you.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Even a cheap little Sunfish would be a great way to get your sailing fix.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Ditto on the sunfish!
"This too shall pass."
You can continue to offer this forum the benefit of your experience.
Best of luck.