End of boom main sheeting arrangements.

Mak41

Jul 26, 2019
Oday Daysailer 2 6211 Chautauqua Lake & others.
My Windrose 22 has an outboard rudder and the PO had a small, 4:1 to the starboard end of the transom. I can't believe this was the OEM setup and I'm going to change it. My thought is to have the 4:1 ride a bridal. Not the best for fine trim in light air and, not the best for pinching to windward but the least expensive option for immediate use.
I'm just curious as to what other folks have decided on as the best end of boom arrangement. I'm not interested in changing it from an end of boom because my past experience tells me it changes the forces on the boat (and so the balance) and it requires a whole bunch of new hardware.
What do you use?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I just did a quick Google image search for Windrose 22 rigging, and the pictures I saw show the mainsheet going to each side of the stern, kinda like a triangle. This is fairly common rigging, and it's good because it allows you to pull the boom closer to the centerline, but without having a traveler. It's bad because it's more annoying to let the boom out for a broad reach or run. Here's a pic:

piclaguna22104a.jpg

I also saw pictures of a Laguna 22, which I think is a later iteration of the same boat, and it had mid-boom sheeting about 2 feet forward from the aft end of the boom.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I've sailed a few boats with the delta sheeting shown in Brian's photo. Although it was fairly common, I've never been satisfied with it's performance because you can't pull the boom inboard without tensioning the leech. I modified the two boats that I owned that came with the delta system. On my current boat I use a bridle that I can easily adjust the height. Some are spliced, and I may do that one day, but I just made mine with prusik knots.

Mak41

Jul 26, 2019
If you could please provide a picture or two... I think this is along the lines of what I was thinking I would do.

Mak41

Jul 26, 2019
Thanks. I did find the manual in line but, I'm not really thrilled with the arrangement. On a broad reach to a run, the entire cockpit is inconvenienced and, at some risk in the event of a jibe.

Mak41

Jul 26, 2019
I'm going to have to look up the center boom option. I'm not familiar with Windrose nor Laguna's other boats with that. In the past I've had poor luck with converting from boom end to center (on my O'Day Daysailer 2).

Apr 19, 2012
If you could please provide a picture or two... I think this is along the lines of what I was thinking I would do.
I'll try to get down to the boat tomorrow for a picture or two.

Mak41

Jul 26, 2019
Thank you.
What I'm particularly interested in is your adjustment ability using prusik knot.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
I sailed a venture 22 with that a frame mainsheet, ugh it pretty much always cut across the cockpit. Lack of traveler was annoying, but you could Vang sheet to simulate letting out the traveler...... sort of. If I had bought that boat, the main would have been the first change.

Apr 19, 2012
I sailed a venture 22 with that a frame mainsheet, ugh it pretty much always cut across the cockpit. Lack of traveler was annoying, but you could Vang sheet to simulate letting out the traveler...... sort of. If I had bought that boat, the main would have been the first change.
Exactly! The first boat that I modified the mainsheet on was a Venture 222.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
You could still end boom sheet the main, with a single 3:1. My boat has an 18" wire strop from backstay chainplate up to a triangle plate. The mainsheet attaches to the triangle plate, and it's nice that it doesn't fall down because the backstay goes up from the triangle plate. Drawback is that the backstay is off to 1 side, and is not adjustable. So, I have a better port tack than starboard tack because it pulls the boom just a little bit closer to centerline on port tack.

Now, the Precision boats, at least the 18, have a split backstay bridle, and the mainsheet is between the top of the bridle and the backstay. The drawback here is that the bottom of the mainsheet purchase moves side to side, torquing the backstay bridle, and eventually leading to failure. Some have added a second bridle just for the mainsheet, but the problem there is that slack on the mainsheet can allow the bottom half of the purchase (and cam cleat) to fall down.

Here's a diagram of the original Precision 18 backstay/mainsheet arrangement, and a modified version that eliminates twisting the backstay side to side:

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 11.40.32 AM.png

Apr 19, 2012
Here are the pictures of my bridle that I promised. You can also see a line around the tiller which allows me to let go of the tiller from time to time. It's usually slack but when I want it to hold the tiller I just slide it forward until it gets snug. I used 4-5 wraps for my 26' boat but one wrap is all that's needed for this O'Day 17.

Now back to the bridle photos...
Light air position:
upload_2019-8-6_11-25-28.jpeg

Heavy air position:
upload_2019-8-6_11-26-26.jpeg

A pad-eye would work fine but the blocks were part of the original rigging and I didn't see a reason to replace them.
Close-up of one side:
upload_2019-8-6_11-30-11.jpeg

A lot of good information here: https://www.glen-l.com/free-book/rigging-small-sailboats-5.html
Mine is mostly like figure 5-4.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Don't assume you need the main sheet to be vertical when sheeted to the center. I had a boat with midboom sheeting that was terrible. However, I swapped and used a different boom that had the main sheet attached 3/4 aft. The attachment point at the boat was kept the same. This meant the main sheet angled backwards towards the boom. From a control standpoint, it actually worked quite well. The leverage on the boom was in the right place. You could still slide the main sheet car to winward and let the boom hang to the center. Anytime you let the boom out, the sheeting angle was more straight up and down.
This setup had the main sheet car just in front of the cabin. While slightly inconvenient going down below, the cockpit had no interference.

Mak41

Jul 26, 2019
Yes. The Precision18 modified, is what I had in mind. My backstay is single and offset but that is a separate item. I'm thinking that the bridal is good because it puts the whole block and tackle outboard on broad reach to run.

Mak41

Jul 26, 2019
Bud; that's real good. Thanks. Yes the Daysailer comes rigged with a large "bridal" arrangement of the mainsheet. I like your mod. I'll have to try that when I get mine back in the water. I never liked it and tried to do away with it altogether by putting the entire arrangement from the mid boom block bale to the CB trunk (change of gear) and, it didn't go well. With the force of the sail applied midships, I had crazy lee helm.
I'll look over my options to try this adjustable mod on the Windrose too. The larger sail my not be a concern. Those prusik knots are strong.

Mak41

Jul 26, 2019
Daveinet; I'm not sure where the track you describe was mounted. On a bridgedeck? But, I see from a previous commitment that Laguna may have in fact had a midboom arrangement. I'll be checking it out.

Mak41

Jul 26, 2019
Screenshot_20190806-232330.png
Brian S; I see that sailboatdata.com shows a Laguna 22 with non-end of boom rigging but, I'm not sure where it goes. Looks to be just forward of the tiller end. And, it shows the schematic as an end of boom.
However, I also found this picture showing a traveler across the bridgedeck.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Yes, my previous boat was setup like the Laguna. I would not recommend midboom, as the sail has too much leverage on the sheet, and causes the boom to lift way too easy. I found 2/3rds to work fairly well. My current boat is end boom sheeting. It works, but I think I liked the way the 2/3rds boom sheeting worked a little better. Its just easier to create the right amount of twist.
If your sail is loose fitted, you can put a loop around the boom and experiment with different sheeting positions.
I should mention, the 2/3rds position was about 18 inches farther aft than the car track.