End Caps Shaefer T Track Hunter 386. Nuts??

kingle

May 24, 2011
Hunter 386 East Greenwich RI
I need to replace the end caps on my T Track for the jib. I'm concerned the caps may be through bolted. I have a 2004 Hunter 386 with a
soft cabin liner. The liner looks to be a bit of a challenge to unfasten and refasten. I partially backed out one of the screws/bolts and was able to reseat it tightly. The threads looked like the bolt is a bolt. I did not back the bolt out all of the way in fear of dropping the nut. I checked the Hunter forums on this - one posting suggested the bolts are tapped into a threaded plate. And another said that Hunter said there's a nut on the bolts. I'm wondering if there are nuts if possibly they've been bedded in 5200 and possibly fairly secure? Any experience you can share about this would be greatly appreciated. In a similar bolt issue - the support brackets on 4 of my stanchions were leaking into into the rear cabin. I was able to back the BOLTS out half way - lift the pad slightly and re-bed the bolts and pads and retighten the bolt/pads - tightly. If the jib tracks are similar - I'm in luck. Any Hunter owners with T Track experience????

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I doubt the end caps are through bolted.... since there is no uplifting load on the fittings (the track handles that)... it's purpose is to keep the sliders from slipping off the track accidently. Also, the end caps need to be easily removable so the track sliders can be added, removed or exchanged. Go ahead and remove them.

kingle

May 24, 2011
Hunter 386 East Greenwich RI
Joe - thanks - that's my thought as well. Why would they through bolt a part that requires periodic replacement with no load? As we find with boats - they at times do defy logic...... Thanks!