Emptying Water Ballast - Hunter 260

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Nothing worse than seeing a butt crack on a bicycle! But yeah, they should consider the market they are selling to. :)
Ah... I had not thought about that...

RELEASE THE KRAKEN....:ass:

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
Hi All,

Reporting back as promised. . .

I didn’t end up going with the shop vac, out of fear that might create too much pressure. Instead, I used a tiny little air pump that’s made for inflating swimming pool floats and the like. Makes less pressure than I can create with my lungs, so I’m thinking that’s probably not going to cause any damage.

Worked like a champ!!! I was absolutely amazed that such a tiny little pump, making so little pressure could clear the water, but it did. I still had water to drain after the boat was on the trailer and out of the water, but I’m guessing it was only about a quarter of what it otherwise would have been, maybe less, and it gave me a good 4-5 inches less boat below the waterline as I approached the trailer, which was great.

So... I can’t say whether it’s a safe practice or not. I don’t think it caused any harm, but I wouldn’t necessarily know yet, I suppose. It definitely did “work”, though, in terms of getting the boat higher in the water for floating onto the trailer at a shallow ramp...

Best regards to all!
Jeff

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Jeff Gray,

Smart move.

After my blower experience with the Laser I started using manual raft top off pump. You don't need a lot of pressure.

H260's rock. Awesome trailer cruiser but (and I'm prepared for the grief) - not a performance ride. Good fall/winter to all!

Last edited:

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Hope you,re not moving to far without water in ballast,boat is top heavy,saw one flip over sideways with keel up.Be safe

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Hi All,

Reporting back as promised. . .

I didn’t end up going with the shop vac, out of fear that might create too much pressure. Instead, I used a tiny little air pump that’s made for inflating swimming pool floats and the like. Makes less pressure than I can create with my lungs, so I’m thinking that’s probably not going to cause any damage.

Worked like a champ!!! I was absolutely amazed that such a tiny little pump, making so little pressure could clear the water, but it did. I still had water to drain after the boat was on the trailer and out of the water, but I’m guessing it was only about a quarter of what it otherwise would have been, maybe less, and it gave me a good 4-5 inches less boat below the waterline as I approached the trailer, which was great.

So... I can’t say whether it’s a safe practice or not. I don’t think it caused any harm, but I wouldn’t necessarily know yet, I suppose. It definitely did “work”, though, in terms of getting the boat higher in the water for floating onto the trailer at a shallow ramp...

Best regards to all!
Jeff
How long did it take to get that much water out?

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
DJN51, no I wasn’t going far at all. Only 50 yards or so from my slip to the ramp.

Kermit, I didn’t notice the exact time it took as I was busy futzing about with other things I needed to get ready for loading. I think it was about 25 min give or take a bit.

The process I used was to stick the pump into the air vent hole and then open the drain valve by backing the tee nut off about two inches and pushing down. I also put duct tape over the edges of the large washer around the valve rod to make a better air seal. Once the valve was open, I turned on the pump. A couple of time to check my progress, I pulled the pump out, which of course immediately started refilling the tank. I found I could just pull up on the tee nut to close the valve and the water pressure would keep the valve closed. Then to restart, I simultaneously turned on the pump and pushed the valve rod back down.

I was absolutely amazed that this little pump would clear the water. I can literally blow air through it backwards.

This is the pump I used:
https://www.amazon.com/Mattress-Inf...ocphy=1026339&hvtargid=pla-486712741640&psc=1

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Wow that is cheap. I've never had a problem getting my boat on the trailer and I assume that if I ever do, I'll just use the tongue extender on the trailer.

BUT! for that price, it might be a prudent idea to have one of those in the emergency box. I can see it being useful if I ever get caught in a cove at low tide and need to clear a sandbar or a number of other eventualities.