Emergency Tiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gaylen Beardsley

Since we have owned our boat for just a year, I have recently found the rudder head under the master bunk. Does anyone have information about the emergency rudder system, have an emergency tiller set up that they want to get rid of or things of this matter. I appreciate your post or email to me directly. Gusto is a Columbia 45, hull #9 Gaylen Beardsley

Aug 26, 2006
- - ala wai
on deck emergency tiller

for my c45 i made an on deck emergency tiller. i used an edson flanged stuffing box that i bolted to the deck above the bunk in the aft cabin. i centered it with a plumb bob. i used the stuffing box so i could tighten it around the stock extension so it wouldn't leak onto my bunk. for the stock i used a piece of 2.375 inch od (i think that was the diameter)1/4 inch wall stainless tubing. the tubing i used fit inside the original stock. i cut a slot in the end that went into the rudder stock that is flush with the aft bunk. the slot was just wide enough to fit around the bolt that goes through the original rudder stock. if you look down into the original stock with a flashlight you will see the cross bolt. i bought an edson rudder head the fit over the rudder stock that goes from above deck to the original rudder stock. i did need to drill one cross hole in the tube to bolt on the new rudder head. for a tiller handle i just used a six foot wheelbarrow handle. it fit right into the edson rudder head. if you want i can send you some drawings of how i did it. they won't have dimensions since the boat is in hawaii and i am in california, but it will give you a better idea of how i did it.

G

Gusto (Gaylen Beardsley)

tiller plans

Please send the drawings to my email if you can. Thanks Gaylen

Gaylen

Nov 3, 2006
- - Port Orchard, Washington
Tiller plans

Not able to get back before now. Great plan for tiller. Since we are live aboards, the wife is not too keen on having this post going down through the center of her bed. Is there any way to have this set up to put in place in case there is a need? *o Gaylen

Aug 26, 2006
- - ala wai
removable stock

the stock extension i showed in the picture is removable. it slides inside of the original stock beneath the aft bunk. i only put it in when i go out sailing. i leave the tiller arm off while i am sailing and only put it in when i want to pratice with it. it has worked well for me. for the aft bunk my foam is two piece. i have had two sets of foam for the aft bunk. both are two pieces. one set had the pieces split for and aft, the other had the pieces split across the beam. with the pieces split in the middle the stock extension fits between them while they are in place. if you had a single piece of foam you would need to cut a hole in it for the extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.