Emergency tiller

Apr 5, 2018
Pogo 12.5 Michigan City
Hello all. I recently purchased a 1984 TR. Does any one have info or photos of the emergency tiller, I could not find one with the boat.
Another issue on my maiden voyage....the auto pilot started acting crazy and the steering became extremely stiff.
I am hoping this is not in he steering ped & linkage.
All coments welcome.
Thanks

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
the emergency tiller, such as it is, consists of a hollow, metal tube with a hole near one end, and a solid rod that is put through said hole.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Hello all. I recently purchased a 1984 TR. Does any one have info or photos of the emergency tiller, I could not find one with the boat.
Another issue on my maiden voyage....the auto pilot started acting crazy and the steering became extremely stiff.
I am hoping this is not in he steering ped & linkage.
All coments welcome.
Thanks
I have an 86 Cat 30 TRBSFK. I had a steering problem which may or may not be your issue. Our steering uses conduits instead of idler pulleys for the cable to make the 90 degree bend at the base of the pedestal which then heads aft to the steering quadrant. The conduit has fittings to secure it to a frame that maintains alignment. The nut and thread section on the backside of one of my fittings broke off and would jam against the quadrant. You can see it jammed against the quadrant in the middle of this picture:

This caused my steering to be stiff and eventually jam hard over one fine day underway. It's a pretty easy fix to replace the fitting which can be purchased from Edson:
https://edsonmarine.com/conduit-end-fitting-for-3-4-conduit/

You will have to remove the shroud covering the steering components in the quarterberth, another panel covering the rudder post components in the quarterberth, and the cover over the steering quardrant in the aft cockpit locker (the one you sit on when you're at the helm).

KBG