• Annnnnnd we're back! Got questions, suggestions, or comments, Guest? Post them here!

Emergency Tiller

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Proud Mary Forked River
I took off the plate that covers the emergency tiller port and found that the inside of the rudder shaft was plugged as shown on the photo below. I'm assuming I should remove this material but just wanted to check if any has ever seen this before?
Thanks

Attachments

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Never seen it. I'd go ahead and remove it. Maybe wear a hazmat suit? You should see a pin across the shaft that the emergency tiller would fit onto.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 3573 Lake Norman
Does your ET fit inside or outside the rudder stock? (I have a mk-I so dunno.)

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Proud Mary Forked River
Tiller fits inside
It maybe some type of foam but didn't break up easily when I pried at it with screw driver. I'll have to get more aggressive with it.
Was just wondering if anyone had seen it before. Maybe the way it was shipped and PO never removed??

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Irish Ayes II Branford
We had a C30 for ten years. I think a PO filled the rudder shaft to keep water out. Our rudder shaft was hollow and you could see water inside. Some owners drill and tap the outside bottom of the rudder to allow draining of the accumulated water for winter storage. Actually no water there is good. My emergency tiller fit inside the rudder post and engaged the 3/8" diameter cross bolt that passes thru the quadrant.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 3573 Lake Norman
Jac
No it’s not like that OEM, I’d suspect the PO filled it to prevent water intrusion (a typical problem) and maybe didn’t think about needing to engage the ET?

Rit
I suspect you have a radial wheel pull-pull cable drive, not a quadrant drive (to be precise.)

C’mon over and and also dial into the International Catalina 30 Association forum and get the collective wisdom of 1,600 experts (owners.)
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30